cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan file lost completely?

Scan file lost completely?

Bewlay
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi

On the Android app (version 266.2.2) I scanned a document but I received an error message while trying to upload it, both on data and on wi-fi. I assumed that I would be able to access the saved file on my device (in JPG format) after I closed the error screen, however the file doesn't seem to exist.

Is there some kind of 'temp' folder where these files are stored before they are uploaded?

This file was of particular importance to me (as I had limited access to the paper version) and I wonder if it is still located somewhere on my device. Thanks for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Bewlay, if the mobile app created a temporary file to upload it to the site, it wouldn't be possible to access it from the device since that feature isn't available. Any temporary files would've been deleted by now since it has been a while since the upload.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Bewlay, and thanks for posting on our Community. 

Do you remember perhaps what the error message you received was saying? 

If you took any screenshot of it, by any chance, don’t hesitate to send it to me. 

Keep me posted!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Bewlay
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I can't remember exactly but it was something along the lines of 'waiting for internet connection'. (This was despite me being online). I assumed it was a glitch in the network and that the original file would be available when I went back a step - I had already saved the file as a JPG, hence my looking for it somewhere on my device.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hmm, I see what you mean. 

If the JPG file you mention was uploaded to Dropbox, you can have a look here and check if there’s any sign of it. 

If you can’t locate it there either, I’m afraid it hasn’t been uploaded at all to our servers, so you’ll need to double check your mobile device and see if it could be possibly saved on another location. 

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Bewlay
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks again. I had already checked that location online so my last hope was some kind of temp file. Doesn't it need to create one in order to then upload it?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Bewlay, if the mobile app created a temporary file to upload it to the site, it wouldn't be possible to access it from the device since that feature isn't available. Any temporary files would've been deleted by now since it has been a while since the upload.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Saitoyui14
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Do not use the dropbox scanner if you want the upload of your files to be guaranteed; if the mobile app cannot upload your files to Dropbox.com AT THE MOMENT it is scanned, the app permanently and immediately deletes your scanned document and tells you "File to Upload Not Found."

I recommend using a local scanner application instead and and manually upload the scanned file.

For the Developers...
Dropbox needs to hold scanned files in some temporary buffer and not give up entirely if it cannot immediately upload the scanned file - in fact, that file should not be deleted at all until Dropbox.com sends positive confirmation that "Yes, you uploaded VERY_IMPORTANT_SCAN.pdf. Yes, I received it. Yes, I have it. Yes, you can delete the copy in your local buffer."

Yes, that is feedback for the developers. No, I do not think it will actually make it to the dev room - please forgive my cynicism.

Saitoyui14
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
The Dropbox mobile application's scan document feature is useful when you need to scan documents to your cloud quickly... but at present, if you ever do so in an situation that the app cannot upload immediately to Dropbox online - such as in an area with low signal or on a wifi network that doesn't allow such a connection - the app immediately discards your scanned document and tells you "File to Upload Not Found."

I assime this is a bug, as the app will tell you "Waiting to upload," for your scanned document. This suggests that it will try and upload the file the next time connection with the server is restored... but I notice it fails *every single time* and destroys the scan with the same message: "File Not Found."

In such a sensitive situation, the obvious solution would be to hold the un-uploadable file in a temporary buffer and keep trying. It is important that the contents of this buffer NOT be deleted until either the user says so or the Dropbox cloud confirms successful upload of that file.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Saitoyui14, thanks for your feedback on this. It's been noted in our system.

Please let us know if you have anything else to add. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

magnushammar
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I scanned a receipt yesterday and didn't have internet at the time. Today I saw a top of screen notification that the upload failed, not a problem I thought I just retry, but there is no way to do it in the app, and the notification is gone, so unfortunately I cannot tell you the exact message in it. I am very confused by this discussion. Is there really no way to retry an upload?

I am on Android 11 with Dropbox version 306.2.2, Dropbox Plus account and loads of space left.

/Magnus

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Saitoyui14 Helpful | Level 5
    DaveWilliams Helpful | Level 6
    magnushammar Helpful | Level 5
    notdragon New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?