cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scratch_ and Scr_ files normal?

Scratch_ and Scr_ files normal?

ARKH
Explorer | Level 3

So we’ve been using Dropbox for couple of years in our firm. Business Standard Plan, 3 users, multiple devices, PCs, Androids, Macs, iPhones…

For couple of months now there has been popping up these “Scratch_0486147734” and “Scr_3258465812” styled files almost every time something gets saved. E.g. creating new file or saving / overwriting existing. As said, the filenames of these files start with “Scratch_” or “Scr_” and end with number sequence. They take up the same space as the original file that got saved. File size is identical.

As I understand, these scratch files come up while the actual file is being saved. This behavior might be normal? But why the files stay after? As you can imagine, these files take up a ton of space. Even though our space isn’t running out I’m getting irritated by these files.

What can I do to stop Dropbox from creating these files?

4 Replies 4

Re: Scratch_ and Scr_ files normal?

Rich
Super User II

@ARKH wrote:

What can I do to stop Dropbox from creating these files?

Dropbox doesn't create such files. They're likely being created by whatever application you're using to create/edit the original files.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @ARKH, thanks for contacting us!

As @Rich mentioned, these are files created by another app, which for some reason isn't deleting them after being created. 

Are they in a specific folder, or when you open a certain app?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ARKH
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the fast replies!

The files are all over the place in various folders. And now that you’ve mentioned it, examining the folders further, it seems that the culprit could be our 3D-modeling software (Archicad). We use it to produce multiple different types of files and material in almost every project that we do…

The weird thing is that this problem concerns all users and as far as I can see, there hasn’t been changes in software, updates or our use of said software that could explain this new behavior.

But now digging through the interwebs I found this on Graphisoft pages:
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/95438/

This helpcenter topic might explain my case? Probably Archicad does something similar every time we save project file or print / export stuff out of it and just can’t deal with Dropbox. The fine mechanics of file saving isn’t really my strong suit 🙂

We haven't had any data loss or corruption issues.

Unless stated otherwise I’m probably just going to keep deleting those scratch files… At least at this point I’m not even going to consider other methods of managing our files.

Jay
Dropboxer
It is certainly possible that it could be related, since scratch files would change very often, causing multiple syncs being made.

You could try ignoring the folders created, if they remain on the machine, so that they don't sync to the site.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?