cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screenshots — saved on system drive but want Dropbox link when Dropbox folder is on external drive

Screenshots — saved on system drive but want Dropbox link when Dropbox folder is on external drive

william1111
Explorer | Level 3

How does the Dropbox "Save screenshots and screen recordings to your Dropbox account" setting work, exactly? Here's my issue:

My Dropbox folder is on an external drive permanently connected to my iMac, because my system drive doesn't have enough free space. I would like to have my screenshots save to a Dropbox folder, but in Catalina it's not possible to send photos stored on an external drive through Messages (longstanding issue). So I have screenshots set to save to a file on my desktop. But I also want to be able to send screenshots as links on Dropbox. 

Is there a way to have my Mac both save the file to my system drive, and have a Dropbox link created (presumably by having Dropbox copy the screenshot automatically to a folder in my Dropbox folder?

In any case, it would be great to know exactly how the Dropbox screenshots function works—specifically, what settings it changes in Catalina.

Thanks in advance!

William

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Screenshots — saved on system drive but want Dropbox link when Dropbox folder is on external ...

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @william1111, thanks for posting today!

The screenshot feature works by detecting when a screenshot is taken using the built-in shortcuts you would normally use to make a screenshot, then moving the saved screenshot from the desktop folder into the Screenshots folder in your Dropbox folder.

If the Dropbox folder is on an external drive, then the image would be moved there. A shared link to the photo is also created at that time.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Screenshots — saved on system drive but want Dropbox link when Dropbox folder is on external ...

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @william1111, thanks for posting today!

The screenshot feature works by detecting when a screenshot is taken using the built-in shortcuts you would normally use to make a screenshot, then moving the saved screenshot from the desktop folder into the Screenshots folder in your Dropbox folder.

If the Dropbox folder is on an external drive, then the image would be moved there. A shared link to the photo is also created at that time.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

william1111
Explorer | Level 3

That makes perfect sense—and is there any way to tweak it so that it copies the screenshot to Dropbox/Screenshots, rather than moving it?

Appreciate the clarification!

Jay
Dropboxer

Currently, there isn't a way to configure the way it functions, so by default it would move the file to the folder in order to immediately sync it and create the link too.

The only workaround would be to manually copy the screenshots back from the Dropbox folder to the desktop. Naturally, it won't have the shared link on the copied file, but it would be on the system drive, if that's what you need.

If you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    william1111 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?