cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search not working

Search not working

Mmmooo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox search can’t find anything. The files, however, are there. How can I make Dropbox find them or reindex them???

113 Replies 113

IsmaeldeLeon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same issue for me. I just found out that the search function is worthless. With the app and also through the Dropbox website, I am not able to find any file, although if I navigate manually through the folder structure, all files are there. I have been using Dropbox for many years and this is the first time this happens to me. 

As I am away, I do need to be able to work without a desktop computer, so I rely on being able to work with my files using my iPad and iPhone. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for joining us on this thread, @IsmaeldeLeon

Are you having trouble searching for files via the desktop app, or through your local Finder/File Explorer?

Also, do you find that the results are the same regardless of the browser that you use?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

IsmaeldeLeon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I only have trouble when using the app and through the Dropbox website. Using my desktop finder/explorer I have no problem finding my files.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Have you gotten in touch with our Support team via this page regarding this matter, by any chance?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kiki63
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

same issue here, all my iphone, andriod, mac, new mac, destop, website app, also cannot search a file

joe0987
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

serach still cant find existing files

kiki63
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

i finally fixed the issue with just change the lang to english original. 

insert of other country lang.

so stupid bug.

AMG24
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hey, I am facing the similar issue. I know this is a year old thread but this is bugging me in 2022. I am facing search issues since last 10 days on both windows desktop and iPhone (latest version of ios). I have already cleared the cache in ios app but its not working.

Help awaited.

Thanks

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @AMG24, thanks for posting on our Community.

Good call on clearing the cache of the mobile app on your phone. 

Besides that, can you also try to reinstall the Dropbox app, and let me know if you see any difference? 

Regarding your desktop search, can you send me more details on what happens exactly? For example, do you see wrong results, when searching for your files, or nothing appears at all? 

Any screenshots you can send will be helpful. Just make sure that there’s not any personal info there.  

Keep me updated!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AMG24
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Nancy thanks for the prompt response.. Honestly I have nothing to fill in. In last 6 hours things got solved by it self.. I don't know how, but it just happened..All search results are coming up fine. As @Mmmooo mentioned it came back after a long week holiday

To your question, regarding desktop search, it was mirroring the iphone error, simply not showing any *.doc or *.txt files, just fetching pdf and folders. For Eg. I was to fetch a file myname.doc, the search simply got me myname.pdf or similar folders. 

Thanks again.

Happy week end..

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MazzolaMj Helpful | Level 5
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?