cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security warning when I move or copy any Dropbox file!

Security warning when I move or copy any Dropbox file!

Terry P.
Collaborator | Level 10

A new frustrating issue started recently. When I move or copy any Dropbox file, of any type, to another folder - even another Dropbox folder - I now get the daft message shown below. I repeat: these are local files, made by me, owned by me. After testing it seems that this only happens when the initial folder is in Dropbox. I can move or copy files outside Dropbox into a Dropbox folder (or any other folder) as usual, with no silly message.

WarningHarmful.jpg

5 Replies 5

Re: Security warning when I move or copy any Dropbox file!

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi @Terry P., happy Monday!

If you stop the desktop app from running on your computer, do you get the same error message when you take those steps again?

You can close the app by:
  1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Quit Dropbox".
Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Terry P.
Collaborator | Level 10

It's clearly not caused directly by Dropbox. The message is from Windows. It still occurs when Dropbox is quit. But, as I've described, it only arises with Dropbox files.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Have you tried fixing hardlinks and permissions for the Dropbox files to see if that makes a difference at all @Terry P., so we can try narrow down the root cause here?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Terry P.
Collaborator | Level 10
Thanks Daphne, but after much further research I'm now convinced this issue is about my internet security options and I'm focusing on that. Some of the zip files in one large folder I've isolated generated similar warnings at the time they were downloaded. I accepted the warnings and have had no problems using their unpacked files - except for these further unwanted warnings whenever I want to move or copy them. Thank for your help. Pretty quiet here otherwise! 😉

Daphne
Dropboxer
No problem at all @Terry P., I'll be happy to help out if you have any other issues with this. 😀

Hope you have a great weekend ahead!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?