cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing starred files in shared folders

Seeing starred files in shared folders

nthms321
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So I recently took some images for someone and because we live in different cities I chose this platform to share the images. I shared the folder with her and had her star the portraits she liked. Problem is I can't see them. Is there a way for me to see the starred items?

17 Replies 17

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank you both for your feedback on this @jennab505-0 & @mcmiller - it's most appreciated.

At this point, allow me to reiterate that as the following Help Center article outlines, the 'Starred' files are only starred for the account's holder (something like marking it as favorites for own use) and they won't be starred for anyone else accessing those.

Let me know if you have anything else to add or ask!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

talkingfinger
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

FAIL. This is idiotic. I can't believe after all I research online about people having this same issue (and there are a LOT Of poeple wondering), that the star option isn't viewable by ALL people in the shared folder!! I cannot understand why you STILL have not made the starring available in this capacity. As someone who writes code, I can attest to this being about 1 hour or coding work to make it work. Probably less time, but I am being generous.
WHY isn't it simplistic? SO my clients have to actully make a comment insttead of rapidly clicking a simple star, and then an ability to simply choose "starred" options for ease on my end so I don't have to go through 100 photos/imnages to find ones commented on.
LISTEN TO your audience who is telling you how to make the platform better.
I'd write more, but now I have to sort through 250 photos to find ones that were commented on <insert HUGE rolling eye emoji> so I can create a marketing campaign for a client who has to comment one by one and me to search for the ones commented on, insted of just sorting stars for a simpel download.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @talkingfinger & everyone else following this thread, it’s Jane this time! 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts & experience so far; I'll do my best to follow-up with you here. 

While the Starred items on your Homepage can only be updated on your own view, if you’re working on our new desktop app, you can pin a file or folder to the top of a folder (which turns the folder into a Dropbox Space). 

If you do so, it should always appear at the top on dropbox.com, the Dropbox desktop app, and the Dropbox mobile app for all collaborators. 

I hope this helps! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

talkingfinger
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Jane

Thanks for the response, but that is NOT what we are complaining about to be changed. Having the entire folder appear on top is fine, and kind of useless, but what we are talking about is this:

I have a folder with 100 photos. I have my client look through, and STAR the photos they want to use. Simple so far.
Now, I go to the folder to then see which they starred. Oh wait. Nope. Can't do that.

This is the fix we have been asking for FOREVER. SO simple to fix and make available, yet hasn't been done. 

One step further: When they star something, I should also be able to SORT the stars from the other so I do not have to search through 100 photos to look for stars. 

I could code your site in about an hour to make this work, why isnt it somethign Dropbox has yet? Seems like a MAJOR functionality improvement, one you could even tout about to members who would be ecstatic you made the site more intuitive.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for sharing your thoughts @talkingfinger; that’s some great feedback!

I understand that the workaround I posted above isn’t exactly what you had asked for initially; I mentioned this option, as you’d be able to achieve something similar to what you had in mind.

It looks like being able to view other collaborators' starred items is important to you, so I’d encourage you to post this on the Share an Idea section where other Community members could upvote it to back yo up. 

You can also pinch the 👍 button on this Idea, where sorting starred files has been requested previously. 

Thanks again for all your contribution! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

San Juan Studio
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

HOW is this collaborative? We just did a 7 day remote shoot for a major company, we had the clients live viewing the set via zoom and watching the images come in live through the Capture One server. All this from 2,400 miles away and it worked flawlessly. We chose to use dropbox as the post production viewing platform to sort previews and make selects for finals. We have approx 1,600 images to select from. Now, we're learning that DB is completley useless for any sort of colaborative effort at all. The system in place for viewing images is NOT a system at all. This is a major setback and is going to get very expensive fast, as now there will have to be a additional time needed to process and retouch images. We will be eating the additional costs which, considring the current social/economic situation isn't great. So thanks for that.

Anyone in the creative industry trying to utilise this abhorrent debacle is most likely sick to their stomach and trying to avoid full on panic. This is embarrassing and we will definitely not be using DB again.

If your going to deploy a system to collaborate on projects do your homework. The “star” that is hidden away until you hover over the filename is plain dumb. It would probably take a good coder a few minutes to add a proper 1-5 star rating system with color tags that overlays the thumbnail image on mouseover and then add the ability to filter those into separate folders. Simple

Anyway gotta go, I have 1,600 images to edit down, retouch and deliver by tomorrow.

sjn1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Have to say I agree with everyone's response. We too are trying to collaborate on starred images and can't access responses. Wasted too much time on something that should have been simple!  FIX THIS ISSUE!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @San Juan Studio and @sjn1!

We have a request for this posted in our dedicated area of the Community here that I can suggest showing your support for by upvoting it.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help other than that, but please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    sjn1 New member | Level 2
    San Juan Studio New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    talkingfinger Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?