cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective File syncing Help

Highlighted

Selective File syncing Help

New member | Level 2

I know this has been asked so many times before, but to save me trawling through lots of jargon and replies that tell me to use another server ... please can someone tell me in simple terms how to be selective with which files Dropbox wants to sync with on my Windows desktop? I want it on my desktop, but i literally only want to pick and choose from one of my desktop folders! 

Thanks in advance xxx 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Selective File syncing Help

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@KimmyRaaRaa wrote:

... please can someone tell me in simple terms how to be selective with which files Dropbox wants to sync with on my Windows desktop? ...

Hi @KimmyRaaRaa,

Once installed the Dropbox application creates a Dropbox folder for you (by default into your user folder, but if desirable you can select another place). Everything existing in your account gets in sync to this folder. When you put something in Dropbox folder, it gets in sync to your account and recursively to any other device connected, if any.

@KimmyRaaRaa wrote:

... I want it on my desktop, but i literally only want to pick and choose from one of my desktop folders! 

Actually, you can't just select particular folder(s) for sync. There has been lot of queries for such a feature, but Dropbox refuses implementing it. The only way you can sync the particular folder (or any other file or folder) is moved it into Dropbox folder. Once there, the folder will get in sync automatically. That's it.

PS: I have posted proposal (idea) for such a feature improvement (alternative) some time ago. You can vote it up, if you want.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@KimmyRaaRaa wrote:

... please can someone tell me in simple terms how to be selective with which files Dropbox wants to sync with on my Windows desktop? ...

Hi @KimmyRaaRaa,

Once installed the Dropbox application creates a Dropbox folder for you (by default into your user folder, but if desirable you can select another place). Everything existing in your account gets in sync to this folder. When you put something in Dropbox folder, it gets in sync to your account and recursively to any other device connected, if any.

@KimmyRaaRaa wrote:

... I want it on my desktop, but i literally only want to pick and choose from one of my desktop folders! 

Actually, you can't just select particular folder(s) for sync. There has been lot of queries for such a feature, but Dropbox refuses implementing it. The only way you can sync the particular folder (or any other file or folder) is moved it into Dropbox folder. Once there, the folder will get in sync automatically. That's it.

PS: I have posted proposal (idea) for such a feature improvement (alternative) some time ago. You can vote it up, if you want.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Thank you, I appreciate your really comprehensive answer.  I will go and vote on your link proposal! 

xxx 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?