cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Sink, low hard drive spaces and files wont remove form computer

Selective Sink, low hard drive spaces and files wont remove form computer

vblack
New member | Level 2

Help! How do I remove files when I don't have enough disk space to store the deletion data from selective sync & without deleting my original files from DropBox online?

My laptops scratch disk / hard drives space is maxed out because my DropBox setings accidentallly changed to add all my folders to my computer. (I'm a filmmaker and I store huge video files and 1,000's of clips / photos in my Dropbox).  Now my harddrive does not have enugh storage space for the data needed to update my new selective sync preferences.  I unchecked all the boxes in Selective stroage to remove files; the dropbox folders are no longer checked when I go back into the selective sync settings page, but the preferences still show that my dropbox files are on my computer.  I've restarted my computer several times and have been trying to remove these files for seevral days.

I am trying to disconnect all my dropbox folders from my computer, so they only live online and I can free up harddrived space.  Now my computer is in a grid lock and I cannot use it.  My programs on my computer keep shutting down (i.e. Chrome, Primere Pro & my computer keeps freezing).  I don't want just delete files labeled in the "Dropbox Folder" in my USERS section, because I am worried it will delelte all my original Dropbox files online. 

Help! How do I remove files when I dont have enough disk space to store the deletion data & without deleting my original files from DropBox online?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Selective Sink, low hard drive spaces and files wont remove form computer

Rich
Super User II

vblack wrote:

I don't want just delete files labeled in the "Dropbox Folder" in my USERS section, because I am worried it will delelte all my original Dropbox files online.

As long as you're cetain that all of your files exist online (i.e. there are no files on your computer that haven't synced up to Dropbox yet), then you can simply uninstall Dropbox from your computer. Once it has been uninstalled, you can safely delete the Dropbox folder without delting any files online. If you need to sync files again later, reinstall Dropbox and you'll be able to select which folders to sync during the installatoin process.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

vblack wrote:

I don't want just delete files labeled in the "Dropbox Folder" in my USERS section, because I am worried it will delelte all my original Dropbox files online.

As long as you're cetain that all of your files exist online (i.e. there are no files on your computer that haven't synced up to Dropbox yet), then you can simply uninstall Dropbox from your computer. Once it has been uninstalled, you can safely delete the Dropbox folder without delting any files online. If you need to sync files again later, reinstall Dropbox and you'll be able to select which folders to sync during the installatoin process.

View solution in original post

melexxxx
New member | Level 2

how do i get a reply on thos sysytem ? i wamnt to remove dropbox as I dont use it ,dont know how it got there. It 'synced' all my files, whatever that means and someone told me to be careful as i will lose all files on my computer if i delete dropbox from it.

i want my files on puta kept and dropbox gone..

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @melexxxx, sorry for the late response. Are you still having issues with this?

If so, it sounds like you may have enabled the computer backup feature. 

In that case, you can find out how to disable it here.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    melexxxx New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?