cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Sync: Dropbox is syncing a folder that is NOT selected.

Selective Sync: Dropbox is syncing a folder that is NOT selected.

MajorHavoc
Helpful | Level 5

Im on a new M1 MacBookPro. I have installed DropBox v120.4.4598, opened Selective Sync, unchecked 6 to 8 folders, and left my machine to sync. I ran out of disk space because Dropbox synced EVERYTHING.  It simply ignored the folders that were unchecked and synced them anyway? 

So I paused Dropbox, deleted the folders that I did not check, (and did not want on this machine) and started Dropbox again. Only to have it start syncing those folders again.

Any ideas how I stop that? I cannot sync this machine to Dropbox now because Dropbox insists on rebuilding those folders, using up all my disk space. 

Help please. Thank you.

8 Replies 8

Re: Selective Sync: Dropbox is syncing a folder that is NOT selected.

MajorHavoc
Helpful | Level 5

Wait. It just got better. While it did not delete the local folder on the MacBookPro, it deleted those same folders on the source machine for those files, a Windows 10 machine, where the selective sync on that machine says to keep them there. What is going on? I need to be able to trust Dropbox to not just go around deleting files from my computers. 

MajorHavoc
Helpful | Level 5

OK, let's go a step further. 

I am aware that if I have a folder synced, and view it on more than one machine, deleting it from one machine will delete it from all others. That is expected behavior. 

BUT, if that folder is not chosen in selective sync, I would expect it to NOT show up at all. And if a left over was in the DropBox folder, and IT IS NOT SYNCED, then deleting it should not effect any other machines. 

But it is. 

MajorHavoc
Helpful | Level 5

One more thought: 

According to this article https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Selective-Sync-Issue-a-checked-folder-won-t-sy... a file cannot have a period at the end of the name. My folder name here has two periods in the name, but not at the end. And in that article, it would not sync. It my case, it will not stop syncing.

Related?   

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @MajorHavoc, thanks for contacting us!

In general, selective sync would prevent entire folders from syncing to your machine.

If the folders are syncing, then deleting them directly would result in the folder's deletion from the site, deleting it from other machines as well. There should be no 'leftovers' in the folder as you mentioned if selective sync is active.

You can find a list of incompatible characters which could cause syncing errors here.

If you're still experiencing issues, I'd recommend contacting the support team for further assistance on this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MajorHavoc
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the reply. I have contacted support already, just hoped someone here had seen this behavior before. 

I did (double)check that the file names are correct according to that document.  A folder names something like a.b.c does not look as illegal, unless I am missing something. And this folder has been on dropbox for over two years without issue, and is just now misbehaving, so I suspect a change to your software, not a change to my use. Possibly an M1 or 

And yes, I realize that IF Selective Sync (is screwing up as it is) is ignored and the folder is syncing anyway, then deleting the folder from the machine where the screwup is happening would cause it to delete everywhere. I believe I even said I understood that in one of my messages already. 

But the problem still exists. This issue is caused by DropBox on my new M1 MacBookPro ignoring the Selective Sync settings and filling my machine up with folders I do not want synced. Because it renders my machine useless to have a full SSD, I need to delete those folders, which now means I cannot use 1Password on that machine at all The program is not working as expected. 

If I deselect a folder, I expect t to delete itself. That is not happening either. 

Another in support suggested removing and reinstalling Dropbox (as I expected someone would) and that made zero difference. 

Dropbox is broken. This is not a bad file name, or a bad install, or my using it incorrectly. I cannot select or unselect a large folder. It appears unselected, yet downloads to my machine anyway. Deletes from that unselected folder delete everywhere, yet do not show up on dropbox.com as "recently deleted files", so I would call that a second screw up. 

Question: Is there some reason, maybe folder size, that would prevent me from being able to select it or unselect it in the Selective Sync dialog? Right now, all folders are working correctly except a very large one that contains media files. It looks unchecked, but I cannot check it. Click highlights the box, but noting happens. 

Thanks anyway.

Jay
Dropboxer
I'd recommend contacting the support team directly for further assistance in order for them to investigate this matter in more detail.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MajorHavoc
Helpful | Level 5

Ticket #12368328

And I have to say being asked to take a screen grab of a list with a box not checked is a bit insulting. What could that possible tell anyone? Im sorry for being annoyed but ask me real questions about sizes, or systems, or file name, or anything. But how could that image possibly tell you anything I have not said: the little box next to the folder name will not check or uncheck. Clicking does nothing. No screen grab is going to change that. 

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the ticket ID, I've added your comments to that ticket and have prioritized it to expedite matters on your behalf.

Regarding the screenshot request, this is part of the troubleshooting process for the team to investigate further.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    MajorHavoc Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?