cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Sync - Unable to connect

Highlighted

Selective Sync - Unable to connect

Explorer | Level 3

I installed Dropbox and it selected to sync everything by default. I want to turn off syncing some folders by using Selective Sync but when I click the Selective Sync button on the Sync page, after a few seconds, I get the message "Unable to connect".

Dropbox-Selective-Sync-2020-10-27 15_16_56-.png

I have tried to uninstall/reinstall, restarted the machine several times over several days, let it finish syncing everything (left it for a couple of days) and it still gives me this message.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Selective Sync - Unable to connect

Dropboxer

Hey @dkslw, let's see what we can do here. 

Could it be that there's a third party app, like an antivirus or security app, that's affecting the desktop app from running correctly? 

Just for troubleshooting purposes, try temporarily closing or disabling them, to see if there's an improvement. 

Let me know of any updates, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

Thanks for the suggestion but this is running in an enterprise environment and I don't have the abililty to turn off AV or any other security apps.

Is there a way to determine if Dropbox is having a problem talking to the servers (assuming that is what you are getting at). A log file or something. As far as I can tell, everything else with Dropbox is working properly. Files are syncing etc.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Connection issues could occur if there's a security app or an antivirus that's hindering the desktop app from running correctly. 

Could you also check if the Dropbox domains are accessible on your network? You might need to contact your company's network administrator or IT to do this. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?