cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Sync always returns "Unable to connect"

Re: Selective Sync always returns "Unable to connect"

ErhartS
Explorer | Level 4
Unfortunately I have heard nothing from a Dropbox person on this forum. I was asked to move it here as this would be the best place.

Might have to start looking at Google and ask for my subscription fee back.

MattEDable
Explorer | Level 4

I was getting the error message when working in a different company's office.

I tried again last night from my home wireless network, and it's worked fine. It's maybe nothing to do with dropbox, and related to internet settings? Best I can do, sorry!

ErhartS
Explorer | Level 4
The issue is that it used to work, then suddenly stopped. I only want selected folders on the work machine. To make it worse, each time I create a new DB folder at home it appears on my work machine although not selected previous.

This is a key reason I'll probably need to get a refund and move to Google or Box as I am getting no support from DB.

Clayton K.1
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same problem, on two computers... I'm running version 22.3.22.

Selective Sync always returns "Unable to connect"

Clayton K.1
Explorer | Level 4

This is an ongoing problem. I have two computers running Dropbox that are doing the same thing.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey Clayton K.1

Thank you for getting in touch with us here, glad to help you troubleshoot this syncing issue. 

Please note that, based on your description, the issue you might be experiencing with Selective Sync may be due to fact that you are currently running a testing version of the Dropbox desktop application. 

We appreciate your enthousiasm, since we rely on eager users who try the latest versions of Dropbox and send us feedback. This helps us to work out all the kinks before we update everyone else, though in order for the desktop application to work seamlessly, I'll have to ask you to downgrade to the latest stable build

If this persists after you install the latest stable version, please let me know in your reply, it'll be a pleasure to follow-up on that!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey Clayton K.1

I have replied to your second request here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Selective-Sync-always-returns-quot-Unable-to-con...

Can you please check whether this advice helps and let me know on this thread? 

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

sarahd
New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue with selective sync.  After loading for a few seconds, it says "unable to connect."  I have downgraded to the latest stable version, and the problem persists.  If the problem is not resolved, I will have to abandon Dropbox completely as I cannot have personal pictures on my work computer - I need selective sync.

Wim B.3
Helpful | Level 6

Have you tried first booting your computer up in "safe mode with network"? (press F8 just before Windows starts). In safe mode security related SW is not yet started, at least on my corporate laptop. Then starting Dropbox the regular way, wait a moment, then use the selective sync feature. Once the folders (de)selected, you can boot normally. This trick at least worked for me..!! Since I don't have to regular change the folder structure it is fine with me.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey sarahd

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Can you please check whether an antivirus, firewall, or proxy blocking the Dropbox website access? 

Please note that if you have an antivirus, firewall, security program, proxy or VPN blocking the Dropbox desktop client running, please either add Dropbox to its whitelist, remove Dropbox from its blacklist, or temporarily disable or uninstall these applications to continue troubleshooting.

Hope this helps you resolve this issue!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?