cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Selective Sync always returns "Unable to connect"

sarahd
New member | Level 2

My work computer does not allow me to restart in safe mode, so this did not work.

sarahd
New member | Level 2

I think this was the issue.  When I took my work computer home and connected to my personal wireless network, selective sync worked.  There must have been a firewall I didn't have access to disable on my work network.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey Sarah, 

Thanks so much getting back in touch, much appreciated. 

So glad to hear that this was resolved!

Happy Dropboxing ahead, don't forger we're here for you if you need to ask anything else in the future!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

jpc2028
New member | Level 2

I am using the latest stable version, yet I still receive the unable to connect error.  I suppose it is due to my ornganizations security (endpoint client) yet I can sync files without issue.  Is there ANY way to exclude folders to sync to any device on dropbox.com? Perhaps a setting for Online Only files?  I see no other way to continue use of my Dropbox Pro subscription because any file adds to my nearly full HD.  Help??

Lynda P.1
Explorer | Level 4

I am having the same issue when I need to selectively sync due to our corporate security settings.  I have been able to bypass the issue when I need to selectively sync by using my iphone, creating a hotspot, connecting my computer, making the changes to the selective sync and reconnecting back to the corporate network.

By using an unfiltered connection you can access make changes and revert back to filtered network.

Hope this helps.

Lynda...

Zed
Dropboxer

Hey @Lynda P.1,

It seems that some Dropbox domains may not be accessible on your work network and you may need to contact your company's network administrator or IT regarding this, since using an independent connection you were able to do it.

You can view this list of domains used by Dropbox on the Dropbox Help Center article here.

Thanks!

Zed
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Clayton K.1
Explorer | Level 4

Sadly, I'm back to syncing not working and Selective Sync returningi "Cannot Connect" error... I'm really at a loss. 

Zed
Dropboxer

Hi @Clayton K.1, that's inconvenient but let's see what we can do about this.

Are you using your work network, did I understand correctly? If so did you reach out to your company's admin about this?

Zed
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Clayton K.1
Explorer | Level 4
No, Zed. Home network. Linksys router, Spectrum broadband. LAN sync off on both computers... (Both Windows 10, one pro, one home).

Lynda P.1
Explorer | Level 4

Thank.  yes fully aware of our govt filtering, hence the work around I need to use occassionally.

Cheers

Lynda PW

Need more support?