Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Sync and Photoshop problem

Allyson B. New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Often lately when I'm working with a file in Photoshop CC and go to save, Photoshop CC freezes in the Save As dialog because Dropbox Selective Sync suddenly decides to download everything in the folder I'm working with. Even when I go to the folder in Finder, right click, and set selective sync to Online Only again, it overrides it and keeps trying to download the files. Help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Selective Sync and Photoshop problem

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
If it happens each you open the ‘Save as’ window in Photoshop, then it is that app causing this matter.

There isn’t much that can be done since the program needs to see the files in the system.

While this might not be suitable for your purposes, if you want to prevent Dropbox from downloading them each time, perhaps you’ll need to mark all the files in that folder to ‘local’. 

They’ll already be on the machine then, so whenever you save files in future, they won’t have to redownload again, causing the slowdown you saw.

Aside from Photoshop, many processes on your machine look at files that you may have not manually opened and in order to fulfill these requests from these processes Dropbox syncs the files. Examples of this include:

• Backup services
  • Antivirus
  • Third party applications that monitor files in general

Hopefully this would help in some way.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Allyson, I assume you’re referring to Smart Sync, not selective sync, since they are different features.

If Dropbox is trying to download the online-only files, then it means a that a program is requesting them. A common ‘request' is when you open a program that has a ‘recent files’ list. In order to be able to see what these files are, Photoshop needs to access them, hence Dropbox is downloading them.

Since this is normal behavior, there isn’t much that can be done, though you could try to reduce the number of files in the recently accessed list. This would be in the settings of Photoshop, so you’ll need to check out their support page for info on how to change this.

Let me know if this helps!

Jay

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Allyson B. New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for your response, Jay!

I did as you suggested (reduced Photoshop's 'Open Recent' list from 30 to two), and the problem is still happening.

To clarify, the files Smart Sync is downloading are not files that I recently accessed. They are simply all in the folder that I see first when Photoshop's Save As dialog opens. It's predictable now, I see the files listed in the folder, and I then see notifications pop up that Smart Sync is downloading them all one by one. 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
If it happens each you open the ‘Save as’ window in Photoshop, then it is that app causing this matter.

There isn’t much that can be done since the program needs to see the files in the system.

While this might not be suitable for your purposes, if you want to prevent Dropbox from downloading them each time, perhaps you’ll need to mark all the files in that folder to ‘local’. 

They’ll already be on the machine then, so whenever you save files in future, they won’t have to redownload again, causing the slowdown you saw.

Aside from Photoshop, many processes on your machine look at files that you may have not manually opened and in order to fulfill these requests from these processes Dropbox syncs the files. Examples of this include:

• Backup services
  • Antivirus
  • Third party applications that monitor files in general

Hopefully this would help in some way.

Jay

View solution in original post

rsjmiller
Explorer | Level 3

Did you ever find an answer for this? I'm having the same trouble. 

Smirker New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

The problem is a massive annoyance, say I have a folder that's got 150gb of images in it on a laptop that only has a 500gb hard drive.  I want to place a single image in Adobe Illustrator.  The only way I can do that is to quit dropbox, place the image, restart dropbox, locate the next image I want to place, quit dropbox, place the image etc etc.

Otherwise the whole folder downloads itself.  Happens in Photoshop and Illustrator.

Surely the two biggest services in their field can fix this problem?

jb27 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Why is this issue marked as solved? It hasn't been solved. This is a really poor response by Dropbox. I've been searching for a solution to this same problem, and the answer is always Dropbox blaming third-party software. This is a big problem with Smart Sync and the repsonse customers get is "not Dropbox's fault." Solving the solution would mean Dropbox actually collecting data on which applications are causing the issue and then helping people address how to fix it. Smart Sync is a great feature, but this seriously needs to be addressed.

Super User II
Super User II

It's marked as solved because the correct response was given, and Smart Sync is working as intended.

If a program or other service tries to access a file that is marked as Online-only, Dropbox will sync that file back to the computer. As mentioned above, many things can cause a file to be marked as Local again. Programs like Photoshop, Illustrator and the like, which often try to display thumbnails for images in the file preview screens (Open, Save, etc.), will trigger Dropbox to sync the file because the program needs it to load and display the thumbnail. That's likely what you're seeing happen.

lpineau New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have been having this problem for a year as well and dropbox simply stop replying to my requests for help. As they do here, they keep saying that it's an issue with Photoshop but I disagree. Perhaps both are proforming as they should but I think it's dropbox that has to find a solution and not the other way around.

I'm currently looking for a new file storage software becuase of this issue.

Super User II
Super User II

The files are synced back to the computer because Photoshop, and not Dropbox, is requesting them. Dropbox is doing what it's supposed to do, which is to sync files when an application requests them. For Dropbox to to solve this, as you think they should, would require that it ignores requests for files to be synced.

This is not a Dropbox issue. Any application service or other process on your computer that requests access to a file will cause Dropbox to sync that file back to Local status again.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?