cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Sync issues with subfolder

Selective Sync issues with subfolder

Sanjatjie
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all.

I recently installed Dropbox on a new computer and only selected a few folders to selectively sync.

For some or other reason Dropbox pulled all the subfolders from folders I DIDN'T select to sync and pulled them into the main folder having ALL OF THEM Selective Sync Issues!!! Please help.

Hope you're all well.

Sanja

3 Replies 3

Re: Selective Sync issues with subfolder

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hello there @Sanjatjie, I hope you're well today!

Can you clarify for me, if you check the selective sync settings again, do the folder you didn't want to sync appear to be selected?

Did you have a copy of some of the folders locally on your computer before installing the app on the new computer too?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Sanjatjie
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne.

Thanks so much for the reply.

No, I didn't have the folders on my laptop when I started syncing and then when the issue started and I checked the selective sync settings, those other sub-folders which caused the sync issue were not selected, which I was so confused.

Now I have my old laptop back (it was at repair) where obviously the sync issues pulled through, and now when I check the selective sync settings, those folders are indeed selected.

I guess I can try and delete the duplicate subfolders that are now in the main folder as selective sync issues. Do I understand correctly that the best way to do this is to delete the conflicted sub-folders (which are now appearing as primary folders) on the Dropbox cloud - which will not delete the subfolders in the original folders and will hopefully also remove this from my laptop?

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Kind regards

Sanja

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional info @Sanjatjie!

If you have two versions of the folder in your account online, I'd suggest making sure that they're consolidated, and you're not missing files from the original folder before deleting the conflicted folder.

Any changes you make in your account online should then sync to your computer too.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?