cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective sync does not load folders

Selective sync does not load folders

Steven L.27
New member | Level 2

I am unable to use selective sync. I open Dropbox Preferences > Account and click on Change Settings for Selective Sync. Dropbox opens a window and it says "Loading more folders..." And it just stays there forever. It will not bring up my Dropbox folders to check or uncheck for syncing. 

31 Replies 31

Michael D.69
New member | Level 1

I'm running into the same problem.  Trying to setup a new laptop and need to do initial sync of dropbox.  Exact same symptoms as noted by Steven.  Selective sync is needed because my entire photo and music library is in dropbox and that won't fit on my new laptop.  If I can't sync new machines to my dropbox, Dropbox is unusable for me.

Samir B.4
New member | Level 1

Same problem for me since yesterday. Worked fine before.

Im on OSx 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Also turns my daily workflow into a nightmare since I use selective sync constantly to manage my 800GB dropbox files onto my small hard drive.

Gerald P.3
New member | Level 1

Same to me...

Larry K.9
New member | Level 1

I have had this problem for a couple of days now.  One laptop is on Sierra and no selective sync.

I also get messages from Dropbox to upgrade to the most current version.  I have done so and still getting this message.

Needs to be fixed ASAP

Brittany S.4
New member | Level 1

I am having this same issue. Please help.

Matthew J.4
New member | Level 1

I can confirm this issue is also happening in Windows 10. I wiped my drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10, and then Dropbox, and it's stuck on the Selective Sync "Loading more folders". Also, nothing is syncing from my Dropbox.

I have another Dropbox account with only a few folders and tried to link that account instead on the same computer - that does work, almost instantly. It's a free account. The other account (which isn't working with Selective Sync and sync) is a paid Pro account. Go figure.

The same issue is happening to me on MacOS Sierra (Selective Sync stuck at "Loading more folders").

Het P.
New member | Level 1

Also been having this issue. Thought it was mac OS beta, but doesn't seem to be the case reading the comments above.

Running 10.12 Beta (16A313a), Dropbox client v10.4.26

Michael D.69
New member | Level 1

Update: I found that after leaving the Selective Sync panel up over night, that it was populated in the morning and I could deselect the appropriate directories and start the sync.  Now, it just seems that the sync is going extremely slowly.  Several hours have past and I only see one small directory incompletely populated.  I have the laptop on WiFi and I've heard there are WiFi issues with Sierra, so I'll try a wired connection and see if that helps.

Kevin M.56
New member | Level 1

Misery loves company.  For some reason I decided to update to the latest version, and since then nothing syncs, selectively or otherwise.  I won't say I've tried everything, but probably most things.

1. Tried various "latest" builds, including the one I had been running.

2. Tried starting w/ an empty Dropbox directory.

3. Removed all traces of Dropbox, rebooting, reinstalling.

4. Resetting permissions and unlink/link.

Like Michael D, an overnight got me selective sync folders, but no syncing. No errors in Console either.

Running up-to-date El Capitan. status.dropbox.com says everything is operational...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

slb1961 Explorer | Level 4
    Kevin M.56 New member | Level 1
    Mieke O. New member | Level 2
    Pete A.3 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?