cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Selective sync is not clearing space on my laptop

Highlighted

Selective sync is not clearing space on my laptop

New member | Level 2

Hello-

I've been getting notices from my Macbook that I'm running out of space. I investigated and realized that I was not using selective sync on Dropbox, so I've implemented that. I unchecked a ton of folders, but it has made no difference in the amount of space available on my Macbook. (I've shut down/re-started the Macbook twice, and I've also closed/re-opened Dropbox.) I have made sure that I have the latest version of Dropbox.

I saw that someone else posted this problem a while ago, but there was  no solution listed. 

Please help!

thanks...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Super User II
How long ago did you do Selective Sync?

The space is not recovered for a few days until after its activated. The files etc. stay within a local cache folder so that you can quickly recover things if you realise you did it wrong or have lost data.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Super User II
How long ago did you do Selective Sync?

The space is not recovered for a few days until after its activated. The files etc. stay within a local cache folder so that you can quickly recover things if you realise you did it wrong or have lost data.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi, Mark. Thanks for letting me know. I'll sit tight for a few days.

I appreciate the help!

-Jenny

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for this answer.

Where can I find this cache on my MacBook?

I unselected a very large folder (140 GB) on selective sync, expecting the space to be freed up.

The offending folder has disappeared from my hard drive... but the space has not appeared.

Macbook's storage analysis still shows the space to be occupied - as 'Other Files' - but I can't seem to find where the hidden files are.

Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 17.05.48.png

What do I do"  Just wait for days until Dropbox releases the space? Or can I find some way to get the freed space to actually show up as free?

Thanks

Andries

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi there @Andries du Toit; thanks for joining the discussion here.

If you're still interested in this, you may find this Help Center article helpful. 

Let us know if you have any follow up questions, Andries. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Yes, I saw that article.  Didn't solve the problem.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

If the app has finished syncing and shows up to date in your menu bar, could you reboot your computer and let me know if you still get the same, Andries? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I have rebooted several times. No change.

A

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

OK, I did a scan with DaisyDisk

It has found 200g in hidden files, which looks about right.

But Daisydisk is not able to delete it.

Even when I give DaisyDisk full hard drive access, it can't access those files. In the screenshot below, I have already given it full disk access, but it still does not have access.

What do you recommend?

Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 10.21.49.png

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?