cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Selective sync problem - Cannot add new online folders to local PC ("Cannot access"

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I've been using Dropbox for many years now. On one of my PC's I use selective syncing, where only some of my online folders are synced.

I now tried to add some more of my online folders to the list of synced folders, and although the folders and all files within ARE added to my desktop Dropbox folder and are visible - all their badges remain as the grey ONLINE sign, and every single file cannot be opened or accessed from my PC.

When I try to open them directly from Dropbox.com they do open, which means the contents is unharmed, only for some reason inaccessibke from my desktop app.

Another hint: when I copy any unsynced file into my clipboard and try to paste it anywhere (namely copy the file) I get this error message:

"An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file...(etc) Error 0x80070780: The file cannot be accessed by the system."

The above is true for ANY of the online folders that to date were not synced. The folders and files within them that have been previously synced remain accessible as always.

Any ideas...?

Thanks,

Danny

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Selective sync problem - Cannot add new online folders to local PC ("Cannot access"

Super User II
Super User II

@DannyRo wrote:

... all their badges remain as the grey ONLINE sign, and every single file cannot be opened or accessed from my PC.

After you check a folder in Selective Sync so it syncs back to your computer, it's added as an Online-only folder. If you want it to be local, you need to right-click the folder and select Local under the Smart Sync option.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Selective sync problem - Cannot add new online folders to local PC ("Cannot access"

Super User II
Super User II

@DannyRo wrote:

... all their badges remain as the grey ONLINE sign, and every single file cannot be opened or accessed from my PC.

After you check a folder in Selective Sync so it syncs back to your computer, it's added as an Online-only folder. If you want it to be local, you need to right-click the folder and select Local under the Smart Sync option.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hey Rich,

Thank you so much for your quick and clear response, this was indeed the issue and my problem is solved!

I did not know this feature as I haven't been using Smart Sync.

However I must comment that there is something confusing about having newly synced files (using Selective Sync) remain as online only and inaccessible due to Smart Sync, while Smart Sync was disabled altogether in my account as I had never enabled it;

which means one should first enable Smart Sync, only to be able to re-define their new contents as local (otherwise the option does not even exist on the folder's conext menu). And - there is no clue anywhere along the way to imply about this requred process.

If anyone from Dropbox is reading this, I would consider having such newly synced folders be local by default - at least in accounts which do not use Smart Sync.

Thanks again,

Danny

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?