cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective web download shared files / folders

Selective web download shared files / folders

Thales79Bp
Explorer | Level 4

I got a link to a dropbox container with many files and folders within.

When I tried to download the whole stuff from the web interface where the link pointed, dropbox said "The zip file is too large".

Ok... too large for what? ZIP files has no limit in size, so dropbox should solve this bug in their system.

or.... there should be a more precise error message: "The zip file is too large for us, and do not want to serve You as You expected! Leave!"

So.. ok... dropbox not advanced enough to handle such basic function to download large zip file.

Ok.. lets download just part of the whole stuff. Lets select files.

aaand... this is where the help needed.

I just can not find any tool, square or else to make selection what files / folders I'd like to work with  / download.

I do not have the amount of space in my dropbox account to save the shared stuff to my dropbox account, so please, focus on the solution to select only part of the stuff I want to download, or a solution that makes downloading a "too large" zip file possible. (I do not know the size of the stuff exactly.. about 1100 RAW files each aout 25-40MB, plus JPG files).

Thank You community!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Selective web download shared files / folders

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Ah... I see, you mean can not rearrange into content pointed by link to a folder. Yes, you are right. That would let you access to sender's space - i.e. security violation. I mean rearrange the copy in your account; the copy you already have done. Unfortunately, a set of individual files can't be selected in the link when all files are in same folder - in your case the only folder. That could be a good feature request. Dropboxer(s) here could count this thread as a such request. As a workaround, you can ask the sender to rearrange its files into subfloders on next link sending, every single subfolder with restricted size. So you would be able download folder by folder.

You are lucky when you files are getting in sync while your account is in overquota. It's even strange, usually sync stops at that moment, but its great in same time - you have used actually it as a workaround. 👍 If the same works for you not only by accident, use it in future too. 😉

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Здравко

Hi @Thales79Bp,

I fully agree that Dropbox messages are too general and in many cases useless. Your report here is just one of countless examples. Almost every one message coming out of Dropbox application doesn't point exactly what exactly is source, the reason for. 🤷... Even when you are familiar in details with application work (including Dropboxers - Dropbox' staff here), the message can't point to useful direction for solution.

About your concern: Using zip files, you can download number of files (usually content of a folder) together. Every single file must be less than 4GB in size. All files count, packed in a single zip, must be less than 10000 and their size, in the zip all together, less than 20GB. When your selection match requirements, download will succeed. 😉

Hope this helps.

Thales79Bp
Explorer | Level 4

Thank You the response!

The stuff is probably more than 25-30GB, so it is still a question how to download the whole stuff.

Здравко

It shouldn't be a problem to reorder the content in 2 (or more) subfolders; let's say folder "a" and folder "b" of similar size (the biggest to be less than 20GB). After that, just download them one by one and finally (on unzip "a.zip" and "b.zip") join them back. 😉 That's it.

Hope this gives right direction.

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox used to struggle above 10gb for zip files (or 10,000 files) but I thought that had been upped to 100gb now (file numbers not changed). 

As @Здравко said try splitting into smaller sections

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Thales79Bp
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the fast response again!

It is not my storage container, it is just shared with me (not sure if i have editor privileges) so I have to be able to select files and / or folders where they are. As I write this reply, I just realized if I want to move certain files to other folders, I should be able to select them, and not moving hundreds of files one-by-one ...

Google Drive web interface can handle file and folder selection (click on an item, then ctrl or shift click other item(s)).

I tried to save the shared stuff to my Dropbox. It went better than I thought.

I am now out of my space with more than 45GB over. (stuff took about 56GB) So... the new items will sync down to the PC, then I can move the stuff out of dropbox.

Google Drive seems to be a better service, but Dropbox desktop app's sync function is a bit more stable.

Have a nice week!

Здравко

@Thales79Bp  wrote:

As I write this reply, I just realized if I want to move certain files to other folders, I should be able to select them, and not moving hundreds of files one-by-one ...

Google Drive web interface can handle file and folder selection (click on an item, then ctrl or shift click other item(s)).

Actually, You can select particular files and/or folders and copy/move/delete them. When you get in your "All files" view, there is checkbox leftmost to every listed file/folder. Set a check mark to what you want selected and do whatever needed using ellipsis menu above the list header.

@Thales79Bp  wrote:

I tried to save the shared stuff to my Dropbox. It went better than I thought.

I am now out of my space with more than 45GB over. (stuff took about 56GB) So... the new items will sync down to the PC, then I can move the stuff out of dropbox.

Sounds like you have got in overquota. Am I right? If so, your sync process is stopped because of this! That's why you have to use web download and once done delete added data to get out of the overquota. Once your account gets out of overquota, sync will resume.

Nice week for you too!

Thales79Bp
Explorer | Level 4

"Sounds like you have got in overquota. Am I right?"

No. I was no on overquote. After binding the stuff to my dropbox storage, yes, i am on overquote by about 45-50GB.
Sync works... the stuff synced to my PC and can work with the files, moving them out of Dropbox.

"Actually, You can select particular files and/or folders and copy/move/delete them. When you get in your "All files" view, there is checkbox leftmost to every listed file/folder. Set a check mark to what you want selected and do whatever needed using ellipsis menu above the list header."

The link i got shows the folder, files within, and subfolders. It is a simple list. No checkbox, no hover selection coloring, no menu on the left part of the screen. You can click on the files to view the images, click on subfolders (on the bottom of everything.... clever dropbox... scrolled down, to click on one of them, but moved out of screen as the list loaded the next couple of files... so have to scroll and be faster than the list loaded to be able to go to that subfolder if you do not want to scroll down the list by about 60-by-60 to reach the end... in this case 1100 files... stupid thinking...).

Screenshot 2021-02-08 085919.jpg

Здравко

Ah... I see, you mean can not rearrange into content pointed by link to a folder. Yes, you are right. That would let you access to sender's space - i.e. security violation. I mean rearrange the copy in your account; the copy you already have done. Unfortunately, a set of individual files can't be selected in the link when all files are in same folder - in your case the only folder. That could be a good feature request. Dropboxer(s) here could count this thread as a such request. As a workaround, you can ask the sender to rearrange its files into subfloders on next link sending, every single subfolder with restricted size. So you would be able download folder by folder.

You are lucky when you files are getting in sync while your account is in overquota. It's even strange, usually sync stops at that moment, but its great in same time - you have used actually it as a workaround. 👍 If the same works for you not only by accident, use it in future too. 😉

View solution in original post

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?