cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self-deleted folder

Self-deleted folder

Liz98
Explorer | Level 3

Hi everyone,

I had a problem earlier with my dropbox, I had a folder that went missing from my computer. Later this folder showed up with a new name (NEW). I was able to use that folder, it was like before, but with this name. Two days ago this folder got deleted too. I will attach pictures that will show when it got deleted. The thing is I didn't delete the folder and it appears on the other computers. Our computers weren't even turned on at that time. When I wanted to restore the folder it showed that it is empty, meanwhile I was using it days before.

These errors are constantly happening. What can I do to avoid these problems? Képernyőfotó 2021-01-27 - 10.55.11.jpgKépernyőfotó 2021-01-27 - 10.54.55.jpgKépernyőfotó 2021-01-27 - 10.54.22.jpg

6 Replies 6

Re: Self-deleted folder

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @Liz98, thanks for checking in with us. 

Since this is a shared folder, could it be that the owner unshared it, renamed it to "NEW", and then shared it with you again?

Give me a nudge with any updates, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Liz98
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

The pictures are from the owners computer and it wasn't renamed or unshared.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Could you have a look at your events page to see if there's any additional information regarding this or the previous folder? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Liz98
Explorer | Level 3

I can't find any events that could be connected to the deletion of the folder. The computers weren't even turned on when the deletion happened.

Liz98
Explorer | Level 3

Eventually we fixed the problem, but it's very unpleasant that these errors are happening and we can't find out how/why. The other problem happened not too long ago, so it's questionable whether these problems will continue to happen. 

Is it possible that it caused because of the storage is full? If it is, then why would the dropbox delete a full folder? 

Lusil
Dropboxer
I'm glad to hear that you were able to get to the bottom of this, @Liz98.

Generally, Dropbox doesn't delete files without user or app interaction. 

In the future, you can have a look at the version history of files that you recovered to see if there's any additional information. 

You can also check out this link where Jay lists a few ways that items can be deleted. 

In the meantime, anything else comes up, just give us another shout. 

I hope you have a lovely rest of your week!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?