cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sequential Reviews - Possible with Dropbox?

Sequential Reviews - Possible with Dropbox?

DanaMi
New member | Level 2

I need my team to review documents sequentially, one person at a time. How can I set this up in Dropbox without requiring each person to lock and unlock the file for editing? Is there a setting to allow only one person to edit a document at a time? I'm thinking more along the lines of how SharePoint requires you to check out/check in documents.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sequential Reviews - Possible with Dropbox?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @DanaMi, thanks for reaching out to us here!

In this case, locking/unlocking the file when it's being edited might work the best for what you mentioned you'd like to do.

Otherwise, if you happen to be editing the file through Microsoft Online or using the online Google Docs/Sheets integrations, you can see if someone is currently editing the file from the icons in the top right of the file when opened.

If you're using the local Microsoft apps instead, then you could enable the Dropbox Badge to let you know when someone else is editing/viewing the doc.

However, if the files you're editing are different file types, then the locking method would need to be used.

I hope this info helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @DanaMi, thanks for reaching out to us here!

In this case, locking/unlocking the file when it's being edited might work the best for what you mentioned you'd like to do.

Otherwise, if you happen to be editing the file through Microsoft Online or using the online Google Docs/Sheets integrations, you can see if someone is currently editing the file from the icons in the top right of the file when opened.

If you're using the local Microsoft apps instead, then you could enable the Dropbox Badge to let you know when someone else is editing/viewing the doc.

However, if the files you're editing are different file types, then the locking method would need to be used.

I hope this info helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

DanaMi
New member | Level 2

Thank you for your reply, Daphne. I know Dropbox is designed to be used for collaboration, and my team doesn't want to use it that way. It would be nice if folder or document properties could be set to restrict editing to one person at a time. The lock/unlock solution is  and an extra step that each person must remember, but if that's really the only option, I guess it will have to do.

Thank you again! 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DanaMi New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?