cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Setting backup folder on Mac but unable to find the folders

Setting backup folder on Mac but unable to find the folders

chsu
New member | Level 2

I am a Mac user and new to Dropbox, and I want to back up a certain folder that is not the default Mac folders (such as Documents, Desktop, or Downloads). When I enter the "Preferences" and "Sync" tab under "Select folders", I did not see any folders to select! Under the "Backups" tab and under "Set up", I did not find other folders (only see six Mac default folders "Documents, Desktop, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Movies". I am not sure if it is possible to back up other folders that I created under my home directory. I have rebooted and reinstalled Dropbox but the issue still exists. Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @chsu,

There are no such options in Dropbox application, but you can do the same by hand. 😉

Just move the folder(s), you want, into Dropbox folder (or in any Dropbox subfolder, as you may like to) and if need setup a link(s) pointing from the old place to the new one (that within Dropbox folder - the new actual one). That's it. Almost the same does Dropbox Backup. So you don't need additional option for this. 🙂

For example, if you have a folder with name "SomeFolder" residing till now in your user folder ( i.e. a path "~/SomeFolder" ) move this folder into Dropbox folder, so resulting path gonna look like "~/Dropbox/SomeFolder" or similar. To look exactly like Dropbox Backup make a link in the old place pointing to the new (actual) one: "~/SomeFolder -> ~/Dropbox/SomeFolder"... and you are ready. 👍

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @chsu,

There are no such options in Dropbox application, but you can do the same by hand. 😉

Just move the folder(s), you want, into Dropbox folder (or in any Dropbox subfolder, as you may like to) and if need setup a link(s) pointing from the old place to the new one (that within Dropbox folder - the new actual one). That's it. Almost the same does Dropbox Backup. So you don't need additional option for this. 🙂

For example, if you have a folder with name "SomeFolder" residing till now in your user folder ( i.e. a path "~/SomeFolder" ) move this folder into Dropbox folder, so resulting path gonna look like "~/Dropbox/SomeFolder" or similar. To look exactly like Dropbox Backup make a link in the old place pointing to the new (actual) one: "~/SomeFolder -> ~/Dropbox/SomeFolder"... and you are ready. 👍

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Need more support?