cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting backup folder on Mac but unable to find the folders

Setting backup folder on Mac but unable to find the folders

chsu
New member | Level 2

I am a Mac user and new to Dropbox, and I want to back up a certain folder that is not the default Mac folders (such as Documents, Desktop, or Downloads). When I enter the "Preferences" and "Sync" tab under "Select folders", I did not see any folders to select! Under the "Backups" tab and under "Set up", I did not find other folders (only see six Mac default folders "Documents, Desktop, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Movies". I am not sure if it is possible to back up other folders that I created under my home directory. I have rebooted and reinstalled Dropbox but the issue still exists. Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Setting backup folder on Mac but unable to find the folders

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @chsu,

There are no such options in Dropbox application, but you can do the same by hand. 😉

Just move the folder(s), you want, into Dropbox folder (or in any Dropbox subfolder, as you may like to) and if need setup a link(s) pointing from the old place to the new one (that within Dropbox folder - the new actual one). That's it. Almost the same does Dropbox Backup. So you don't need additional option for this. 🙂

For example, if you have a folder with name "SomeFolder" residing till now in your user folder ( i.e. a path "~/SomeFolder" ) move this folder into Dropbox folder, so resulting path gonna look like "~/Dropbox/SomeFolder" or similar. To look exactly like Dropbox Backup make a link in the old place pointing to the new (actual) one: "~/SomeFolder -> ~/Dropbox/SomeFolder"... and you are ready. 👍

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Setting backup folder on Mac but unable to find the folders

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @chsu,

There are no such options in Dropbox application, but you can do the same by hand. 😉

Just move the folder(s), you want, into Dropbox folder (or in any Dropbox subfolder, as you may like to) and if need setup a link(s) pointing from the old place to the new one (that within Dropbox folder - the new actual one). That's it. Almost the same does Dropbox Backup. So you don't need additional option for this. 🙂

For example, if you have a folder with name "SomeFolder" residing till now in your user folder ( i.e. a path "~/SomeFolder" ) move this folder into Dropbox folder, so resulting path gonna look like "~/Dropbox/SomeFolder" or similar. To look exactly like Dropbox Backup make a link in the old place pointing to the new (actual) one: "~/SomeFolder -> ~/Dropbox/SomeFolder"... and you are ready. 👍

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?