cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting folder to "online" when it hasn't been fully synced to the cloud yet

Setting folder to "online" when it hasn't been fully synced to the cloud yet

BradLogan
New member | Level 2
Hey there, I'm working on a video where I'm having to render and tweak a lot of clips individually in 4k resulting in a huge folder size (277G) so I have run out of space on the drive where I keep Dropbox files locally. So I'm moving the folder to an external hard drive and will see how it goes editing the files from there. But I'm really nervous about the possibility of my external drive failing at some point and losing all of the video files in this folder.  So I want to make sure I have all these files backed up to my dropbox in the cloud and have the folder set locally in Smart Sync to "online only" to free up space on my local dropbox hard drive.

Here's the thing - my internet connection is through a MiFi hotspot that throttles down to a crawl after it goes over 150GB a month so I only have dropbox sync turned on when I really need to have something synced to the cloud (such as when I need a link to share the file with others) to save bandwidth. So most of the files in this folder (about 180G worth) have not yet been synced to the cloud. So what would happen to the files in that folder that have not yet been synched to the cloud if I were to switch that folder on my computer to "online" using Smart Sync? Would those files still stay on my computer until they have been completely synched to the cloud and would then be automatically deleted? 

What I *imagine* would happen (ideally) once I have turned dropbox sync back on is that the files in the folder that have already been synced to the cloud would be automatically deleted off my hard drive immediately freeing up some space and the others would stay on my computer until they have been completely uploaded to the cloud before they are automatically deleted off my hard drive. Is that the way it works or is there a danger I could lose some of these files off my hard drive before they have had a chance to get synced to my dropbox account in the cloud? 

Any insight into this you can provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks!

Brad
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Setting folder to "online" when it hasn't been fully synced to the cloud yet

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @BradLogan, thanks for posting your query today.

If you switch a folder to online-only that hasn't fully synced yet, what should happen is the already synced files will switch and the rest will continue syncing (and taking up space).

Once those are done too, they should also switch to online-only and their space should be freed up.

If you want, you can test this out with a smaller set of files.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Setting folder to "online" when it hasn't been fully synced to the cloud yet

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @BradLogan, thanks for posting your query today.

If you switch a folder to online-only that hasn't fully synced yet, what should happen is the already synced files will switch and the rest will continue syncing (and taking up space).

Once those are done too, they should also switch to online-only and their space should be freed up.

If you want, you can test this out with a smaller set of files.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BradLogan
New member | Level 2

Thanks Hannah, I did a test with a few smaller files as you suggested and everything happened as you described. 

Thanks for your response and for your suggestion!

Hannah
Dropboxer
Not a problem, Brad, happy to help!

If you have any other questions, let us know.

See you around the Community! 🙂

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    BradLogan New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?