cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Share Dropbox Link - The link pups up a window for sign-up/in. How to eliminate?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

When I generate a link using "Share Dropbox Link", and then follow that link, I get the pdf file that I've shared in the background, with a popup window saying, "New to Dropbox? Sign up for free to share documents and photos". I can cancel out the popup and see/download the pdf, but this is very confusing for people who don't have a dropbox account (or want to sign up for one). Since I'm trying to distribute a flyer, I need to know how to get rid of this.

Thanks ...

14 Replies 14
Highlighted

Re: Share Dropbox Link - The link pups up a window for sign-up/in. How to eliminate?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Looks like this is for now for free accounts.
Corporate and paid accounts not have such ugly popup on shared files.

Highlighted

Re: Share Dropbox Link - The link pups up a window for sign-up/in. How to eliminate?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This will deter me from sharing files for the exact reason Dev R has explained. This will confuse many people. Makes our transfer to Google Drive all the more worthwhile.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I can't believe that I have to move all of my shared PDF docs to Google Drive now... But, guess what? I do! Leaving them at Dropbox & sharing them with this awful & confusing popover is simply NOT an option - and I'm really quite upset that a company that had been so completely user-friendly has decided to ruin a perfectly good service with this nonsense!!!

If you want to grow your user-base, I have a better idea than hijacking your users' shared files & making it seem like the people they're sharing with must either sign-in or sign-up: Deliver an excellent user experience to your customers & the non-users that they share files with! That will do so much more for your long-term growth than cramming in frustrating things like this popover. I wanted to easily share a few PDF files with a simple link that would allow users to easily & immediately view the file online, then decide if they wanted to download it.

Dropbox used to be the perfect solution for this! Whenever I was asked for a good tool to do this, I would tell people that there's no better option than Dropbox! But by forcing this awful experience onto your users (and the unsuspecting victims that your users wanted to share content with), you've not only ruined what was a great solution & voluntarily given your competitors an advantage - you've made a liar out of me! I feel like I need to find everyone that I've ever recommended you to so I can warn them & direct them to better options, like Google Drive.

When you do things like this, Dropbox, it feels like you're hijacking my content for your Marketing objectives - this sends the message that you care less about your users (we're actual people!) and more about using them (us)!

I'm just really disappointed!! (Can you tell?!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Not true Vlad that this stupid popup is only for free users.  I am a paid subscriber with a fairly expensive business account, and I send links to my clients often.  I sometimes have to submit hundreds of photos for insurance work and Dropbox was a great way to do it until now. Recently, I've been getting a ton of phone calls and emails regarding having to log in after clicking the link.  Most of my clients are other businesses that do not have Dropbox accounts and some of them are not allowed to create an account from the office even if they wanted to.  This is extremely frustrating, and I wish they would eliminate this popup ASAP.  If this continues, I'll have to find another way to send my photos.  Someone from Dropbox should respond very soon since they don't have a customer service phone number, and this seems to be only way to get help.  So ridiculous!!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Amir

Can you share exactly in which scenario this pop up is being shown? 

I ran a test by creating a link to a folder (note: I'm not sharing that folder for others to collaborate but rather a link to access the contents of that folder). I then open it with an icognito window and the only thing I see is the option to either download it or save to my Dropbox (which will obviously ask to sign in)

>Let me know if you see something else.</p>

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I too have been having similar issues like the above mentions. I share a recorded link on a blog and when others click on the link the option to download appears. When they click on the option to download the first thing that pops up is an advertisement to join Dropbox. That discourages others and in return discourages me. I have decided to not post any more recordings till the advertisement pop ups are removed. Obviously that defeats the purpose of me paying for the Dropbox account. I cant express my disappointment enough with this issue and hope it can be corrected before canceling the account. I'm the one who should be charging Dropbox for advertising for them. I thought it was enough carrying their name but to be used for soliciting to others is not what i signed up for. I believed in the service at first but this issue is absurd. Please assist , Dropbox. 

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

Bump, can this be fixed?

If you are a Pro user and share a file via a public link, they should not receive a prompt to signup. This is a understandable feature for free users, but not for Pro users.

This is particularly confusing for sharing files with customers. It leaves them confused, looks unprofessional and means I will need to resort to other means to distribute the file, perhaps moving away from Dropbox.

Can this please be fixed immediately?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

This is exactly the issue I'm dealing with -- does anyone know if there has been a fix for it yet? I need to share pdf documents with colleagues who do not have Dropbox. It's very unprofessional to send them a link that asks them to sign up or click "No thanks..." and then download the pdf to view. We will happily upgrade to Pro or Business if we could share a pdf file that simply opens for someone who receives the link. In the meantime, I'm looking at other services as options. 

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Theres nothing to fix I'm afraid. It isnt by accident. Its intentional.

If they dont want it all they need to do is click on the X in the top right corner. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?