cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Share link

Highlighted

Share link

Explorer | Level 4
If someone shares a link with me and I save the files to my account am I uploading the files? I’m just asking because when I upload my own files a bar comes up telling me the progress of the upload. However when I save the files from a link that bar does not appear. Also, is there any way to differentiate files I saved from a shared link to files I actually uploaded myself?
6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Super User II

@Henry1001 wrote:
If someone shares a link with me and I save the files to my account am I uploading the files? ... Also, is there any way to differentiate files I saved from a shared link to files I actually uploaded myself?

No, and no.

When you save files from a share link directly to your account, the files are added to you account automatically. There's no way to differentiate them from files you've uploaded. They're just another file added to your account, like any other.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Hey Rich,

So if I’m not uploading the files when I save them, then why’d does it say I uploaded the files when I click the about info on the file?
Highlighted

Super User II

Its a bad choice of wording that is all. They have been added to your account so technically you've downloaded them in to the account, but, as Dropbox doesnt really have that as a feature with most people using the desktop app it is showing that its been added by you. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Hi mark,
So even though it says I uploaded the file, I never really did?
Highlighted

Super User II

@Henry1001 wrote:
So even though it says I uploaded the file, I never really did?

You added the files to your account. In this case, it essentially means the same thing.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Hey again Rich,
Now I’m kinda confused, because you said that if I saved files from a shared link that it didn’t mean I was uploading them. And now you’re saying that it means I did.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?