cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Share links don't work on Android

Share links don't work on Android

aprilafternoon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

For a while now, I've been sharing Dropbox documents in PDF format via email. Once in a while people tell me they "can't open the links." I always just assumed they didn't know what they were doing, but today I happened to test one of these links on an Android phone.

In the Gmail app on Android, clicking on a Dropbox link in this format:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8fpocz6tykra0o/20190204.pdf?dl=0

gives the error,

Cannot display PDF (20190204.pdf is of invalid format)

Anyone know how to get this to work on Android?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @virtue, in general, this error message seems to be a generic error message related to a third party app. 

For this reason, I’d recommend attempting to opening the link with a mobile browser and, if you’re still having issues, you can always contact our Support team for a more in-depth look on the matter using our internal tools. 

Thanks in advance!

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, @aprilafternoon

As a first step, could you please send me a screenshot of the error message you’re seeing (excluding personal info)? You can do this by selecting one of the following options:
Attach image.png

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

aprilafternoon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Absolutely! Here you go.

Screenshot_20190201-131711.png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the screenshot, @aprilafternoon!

Hmm. :thinking: The first thought that comes to mind is that the device doesn't have the relevant third party app to support the file in question so as to preview. 

However, I just wanted to ask, if you change the shared link's dl=0 into dl=1 (so as to force the file to download), are you then able to preview the file directly from your mobile phone by any chance? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

aprilafternoon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I actually did try the dl=1 argument before I wrote this post! It makes no difference. Shouldn't the links open in the browser instead of trying to download the file?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for trying this out for me, @aprilafternoon

Could you please try manually copy-pasting the shared link you have into a browser and see if that does the trick?

Let me know of any updates! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @aprilafternoon,

The message is absolutely normal. The link point to JPEG file, erroneous renamed to .pdf. Of cource, android try to redirect to activity serving PDF, but the same activity seems doesn't know anything about JPEG. Check Your file format and/or set apropriate name extension. :upside_down:

aprilafternoon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Unfortunately, that's not the case... the file in question is a valid PDF file and I can view it properly from iOS devices... just not Android. :wink:

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @aprilafternoon,

As response to link Your posted initialy (https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8fpocz6tykra0o/20190204.pdf?dl=0) in part of the content (no to direct link) headers reported are:

accept-ranges: bytes
cache-control: public, max-age=31536000, no-transform
content-disposition: inline; filename="AA-iJSzD.jpe…ilename*=UTF-8''AA-iJSzD.jpeg
content-length: 232494
content-security-policy: referrer no-referrer
content-type: image/jpeg
date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 01:25:27 GMT
referrer-policy: no-referrer
server: nginx
timing-allow-origin: *
vary: Origin
x-content-type-options: nosniff
x-dropbox-request-id: a80463e96954cc0b61e152b987784782
X-Firefox-Spdy: h2
x-robots-tag: noindex, nofollow, noimageindex
x-server-response-time: 171

all together (at least, when I clicked the link provided). Note especially the line:

content-type: image/jpeg

I will left this byself without comments.

Something more: Even on a same OS different activities can have different capabilities (What to say on different devices and/or OS-es). So, some activities can serve more types, others - no. That's it.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Of course, this could be bad redirection to https://uce90e38fa32e1b7b14345c2a3a2.previews.dropboxusercontent.com/p/thumb/AAULjtCnhlyMjiewZ4Hm5Jr...

If so, I can't say anything more.

Need more support?