cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share same files in different folders to give different people access to the same file

Share same files in different folders to give different people access to the same file

ilkerdelener
Explorer | Level 3

I want to use dropbox for an online course so I have 20 videos I want to share the same file in different folders for all the student (each student will have his own private folder). So when they have questions they can upload or ask there questions in the same folder so no one can see them only me.

I can copy the files mutiple times but this will cost me my storage space. I hope someone can help me with this

5 Replies 5

Re: Share same files in different folders to give different people access to the same file

Mark
Super User II

Could you not send out 1 read only link to everybody which has the video on (cautious of bandwidth issues!) and then create the 20 folders for everybody to upload their work to instead?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Share same files in different folders to give different people access to the same file

ilkerdelener
Explorer | Level 3
Yes that is my last option but then they need to be in 2 folders, the easiest option is to work from 1 folder instead of 2.

Mark
Super User II

That way then you will need to have enough quota to do so 🙂

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ilkerdelener
Explorer | Level 3
And what did you mean with bandth width? What are the limits within dropbox? Also with paid versions, I will eventually need paid version

Mark
Super User II

Basic accounts get 20gb/day. Paid get 200gb/day. 

So if your file is 1gb and viewed more than about 16 or 17 times it is going to hit the limit and all views of it IF VIA A LINK will be stopped for at least 24 hours. If its in a shared folder the above wont apply BUT the person accessing the share will need enough quota in their account to download the file. 

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/banned-links

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?