cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared file not opening for some members

Shared file not opening for some members

LadyyPaige
Explorer | Level 3

At work we have a file shared amongst 15 people and some cannot open it. It is an excel file created from a template on a Mac. No one (android and apple users) can open it in their dropbox phone app. It seems like the only successful way to open it on any tech device is through Google Chrome. Is there a way to fix or change this so that anyone can open it in their default browsers?

5 Replies 5

Re: Shared file not opening for some members

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @LadyyPaige, thanks for messaging today!

How was the file shared to the users?

Was it via a shared link, or directly to their Dropbox accounts as a file or in a shared folder?

What error are they getting when opening it in the mobile app?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LadyyPaige
Explorer | Level 3

It is a file in a shared folder. There is no error message from what I know, just a spinning loading circle that never ends. The only person out of 3 I personally tested that could open the file in their dropbox app is a google phone user. I can open it on my iPhone in the Google Chrome app, but not in Safari and not in the dropbox app.

Jay
Dropboxer
Is it only this Excel file that you're experiencing issues with? If you create a new Excel file via the Dropbox site, does it load normally to check that Excel files work?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LadyyPaige
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, it's the only one. It's also the only one we've used a template for.

Jay
Dropboxer
It's possible there's an issue with the file or template itself, which is preventing it from loading correctly on that browser and the mobile app.

If the file contains macros or other coding, then it might not preview correctly, if at all.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    LadyyPaige Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?