cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared folder access

Shared folder access

Explorer | Level 3

I have a dropbox free account with about 6 GB of storage and through it I have access to a number of shared folders that I can easily access, upload and download through windows file manager. I have just begun working for a church that has a Dropbox Plus account and the folders in that account have been shared with me. Most of them are now available to me through the file manager but one which is 9 GB says it cannot be added as I need more space. Other people with basic accounts apparently have no trouble accessing it but I cannot do so.
Can anyone suggest a resolution that does not involve me having a paid account.

4 Replies 4

Re: Shared folder access

Super User II

@Barry Lee wrote:

Other people with basic accounts apparently have no trouble accessing it but I cannot do so.
Can anyone suggest a resolution that does not involve me having a paid account.

You'll either need to upgrade your account, earn more space through referrals or other bonuses or, if you only need view access, ask the owner of the folder to send you a shared link instead.

Any Basic account that can access the folder simply has enough available space in their account. The amount of space a Basic account can have varies. They start with 2GB, but can earn much more through referrals and other bonus programs (before I went to a paid account, my free Basic account had 70GB of space available).

Explorer | Level 3

The thing is I can't even view the files despite having been sent a link. I just get the error that I need more space and I can't get past that. 
Secondly, it is my understanding that none of the others who are able to access the folder have 9GB of space in their accounts.

Super User II

@Barry Lee wrote:

The thing is I can't even view the files despite having been sent a link. I just get the error that I need more space and I can't get past that.

You weren't sent a shared link. You were sent an invitation to join a shared folder, which requires that you have enough space in your account. If you just need view-only access, a shared link will give you that. You don't even need a Dropbox account.

Secondly, it is my understanding that none of the others who are able to access the folder have 9GB of space in their accounts.

That's simply not possible, unless they're accessing the folder though a view-only shared link. If they were invited to and accepted the shared folder, and are able to access all of the content within it, then they had enough space in their account to do so.

Explorer | Level 3

OK. Thanks. Will follow that up.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?