cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared folder lost, not clear why

Shared folder lost, not clear why

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I switched on my home computer this evening and after booting, I saw a notification about a folder being removed. It's a folder that was shared with me previously, that was sync'd properly. Looking into why I lost the access, I went to dropbox.com/events and I see this:

You removed your access to the shared folder abc

So, it seems it's me who removed it? But the fact is, I didn't. The timestamp is Monday 11th at 10.59am. At that point I would have been on my work laptop, where Dropbox runs too, but I didn't edit/remove anything, the whole week, except maybe adding a file or 2 to another folder (not shared). What happened? How can I get it back? I am no longer in touch with the person who shared it with me, but there were important files for me there.

cheers

Pierric.

2 Replies 2

Re: Shared folder lost, not clear why

Dropboxer

Hey there @Pierric; welcome to our Community!

Could you please let me know if this shared folder is listed in your account's 'Shared' tab for you to add back to your account?

If it's not shown there and you weren't able to restore it from your events page, I'm afraid you'll need to contact the original owner to grant you access again. 

Let me know what you find, Pierric. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Shared folder lost, not clear why

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Walter,

Thank you for replying. I do not see it in the shared folders indeed, nor can I bring it back from the events page.

Fortunately I found out that my cloud-based backup solution did not exclude my Dropbox folder when it scanned my hard drives, and I have been able to recover the files from there.

My trust in Dropbox has gone down quite a bit: even though I'm on the free tier, I wouldn't expect data to be lost like that without any clear explanation of what happened. But at least I've avoided the worst and recovered the data somewhere else.

Regards,

Pierric.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?