Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared folder requires login?

Richard23 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I created a shared folder set to allow anyone with the link to edit, view, upload files.  I also emailed the link from within the sharing setup. When I test the link it requires a login.  I'm not happy with this.  I need to enable my customer to simply upoald files for a project.  Is there any way to bypass the login requirement?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shared folder requires login?

Super User II
Super User II

If you're using a Share Link to the folder, then those with the link can only view and/or download the content. They can't edit or upload files to the folder. Share Links do not provide that functionality. They are view-only.

Shared Folders do provide editing and uploading, but they require that all members have a Dropbox account. You invite members to the folder, which is then added to their own Dropbox account.

If all you need is the ability for customers to upload files to you, then you'll want to use a File Request.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Super User II
Super User II

If you're using a Share Link to the folder, then those with the link can only view and/or download the content. They can't edit or upload files to the folder. Share Links do not provide that functionality. They are view-only.

Shared Folders do provide editing and uploading, but they require that all members have a Dropbox account. You invite members to the folder, which is then added to their own Dropbox account.

If all you need is the ability for customers to upload files to you, then you'll want to use a File Request.

View solution in original post

Richard23 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks!

Darn. While I will continue to use Dropbox for personal content I will have to use Google Drive for this purpose.  While they also require a login, far more people use Gmail and I created a Gmail account for people to use just for this purpose as well.  

Best,

Richard

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?