cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared folder

Shared folder

Michaelfb
New member | Level 2

Hello, I recently got an invite to edit a shared dropbox folder which seems easy enough but as soon as I click on the "GO TO FOLDER" option, I get logged in to my dropbox and told that my dropbox is full and I cannot do anything butbut space which I dont want to do.

I do not require this folder to be linked or synched to my dropbox, I just want to access the files in this folder.  I have been given edit rights.  How can I do this please ?

I will also say that this shared folder is or is going to over 10 GB big which is way over my 2 GB limit.

Thanks

Michaelfb

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shared folder

Rich
Super User II

@Michaelfb wrote:

I do not require this folder to be linked or synched to my dropbox, I just want to access the files in this folder.  I have been given edit rights.  How can I do this please ?

You can't access the folder and edit the content unless you're a member of the share, which will put the entire content of the folder in your Dropbox account. Basically, you need enough space in your own account to hold the shared folder, because it exists in your account.

You can get view-only access through a shared link without it affecting your own account, but you won't be able to edit the content. To edit, you need to join the share.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II

@Michaelfb wrote:

You can't access the folder and edit the content unless you're a member of the share, which will put the entire content of the folder in your Dropbox account. Basically, you need enough space in your own account to hold the shared folder, because it exists in your account.

You can get view-only access through a shared link without it affecting your own account, but you won't be able to edit the content. To edit, you need to join the share.

Michaelfb
New member | Level 2

Thank You rich, just another reason not to use Dropbox, but I do appreciate your speedy reply ..... 

maxftempleton
New member | Level 2

It is ludicrous for Dropbox to charge space for a shared folder to all of the accounts that have access to it.    They are not making copies of the data in each of the shared account holder's 'rented' storage spaces.   They are just managing its visibility to those accounts.    Pure avarice.    

Share folder

HEENGINEER
Explorer | Level 3

i can't easily share more folders with my free account like i did back then. Back then I could type in the person's email and they had access to the folder. now that doesn't work anymore. Why? do I have to order a specific subscription, if so what is the cheapest?

Re: Share folder

Megan
Dropboxer
Hi @HEENGINEER, happy Wednesday! 

Can you let me know if these are the steps you follow in order to share the folder? 

Also, when you say it doesn't work, do you get any errors? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

HEENGINEER
Explorer | Level 3
no there is no error message. it worked earlier (3 months ago). there was a field where you could enter someone's email address. now there is only one link that can be sent.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @HEENGINEER, could you attach a screenshot showing the sharing prompt you get? 

In general, there should be an immediate field for you to enter email addresses.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

How editable is a shared file?

Cc1981
Explorer | Level 4

How do I share a read only copy of my document with someone.  When I shared the file to my own email it said x has invited you to edit the file x on Dropbox.  I don’t want anyone to edit the file.

Re: How editable is a shared file?

Megan
Dropboxer
Hey, @Cc1981, I'd be happy to answer this for you! 

You can either change the permissions of the shared folder, or you can choose to send a shared link instead. 

However, if you have added them to be part of the shared folder, you might want to go with the first option. 

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropboxer
    Cc1981 Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropboxer
    HEENGINEER Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?