cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared folders and survivorship

Shared folders and survivorship

bajhn
New member | Level 2

My wife and I both have individual Dropbox Plus plans, and we've thought about consolidating to a Family plan, but we don't see the benefit in paying 70% more for 50% of the space. (It works out to $60/TB-year with what we've got now, vs. $102/TB-year if we were to convert.) It seems to make sense to just create a shared folder, but what happens to the data in a shared folder if the account holder who created the account dies or becomes incapacitated and the account isn't renewed?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shared folders and survivorship

Mark
Super User II

Hi @bajhn 

This may help you: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/access-account-of-someone-who-passed-away

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

Hi @bajhn 

This may help you: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/access-account-of-someone-who-passed-away

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

bajhn
New member | Level 2

That sort of helps. Reading between the lines, as long as my family has access to the cached local copies of my files, they've got the data. If I'm not syncing all of the data, though, it's not clear whether Dropbox would be able to recover the data from the cloud if my account expired for non-payment. (Based on past experience, things can drop through the cracks after a family member expires.)

Mark
Super User II

The account itself would usuallstay active for 12 months of inactivity. So as long as it was 'found' within that time it would be accessible. 

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    bajhn New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?