cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared link gives error 404, my folder is probably banned?

Shared link gives error 404, my folder is probably banned?

MATF
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, my shared link is giving 404 errors to everyone, meanwhile it worked until 2 days ago or so until someone notified me and I made no changes (it worked for 5+ years). From reading on the website it seems like it was banned. Unfortunately I lost my email its connected to so I switched to another, so if I got the email on that email that I forgot I didn't see it. Can someone confirm or suggest me what should I do? The link is very valuable to my colleagues because it has materials for our faculty thus it probably triggered the high traffic.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Need more information about my banned links

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @MATF, in general, it isn't possible to see what caused the ban on your shared links. 

However, for the first ban on an account, it would last for 24 hours, subsequent bans would take exponentially longer to expire.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: Shared link gives error 404, my folder is probably banned?

Lori
Dropboxer
Hi @MATF, let's see what we can do about this! 

I'd probably need some account-specific info in order to have a clear look at what's happening. 

Would you mind if I reach out to your Community email, so we can work together on it? 

Let me know more!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MATF
Explorer | Level 4

Of course, do I need to send you my email or do you already have it?

Lori
Dropboxer
No worries, @MATF

I just sent you an email. 

Check your inbox, and reply as soon as you can!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Need more information about my banned links

MATF
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I contacted support yesterday (12. october) and they marked my problem as solved. Technically it was but I am not satisfied with the answer. I assumed myself that my links were banned as I've seen posts about it, the problem is that I don't know exactly WHY is it banned. Support gave me 3 reasons that are different as sky and earth with no follow-up what's the exact problem so I am asking that. I must also emphasize that this dropbox is used for research purposes for students on my college and banning the sharing will hurt us. The traffic is probably the issue but I need for the support to say it.

Re: Need more information about my banned links

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @MATF, in general, it isn't possible to see what caused the ban on your shared links. 

However, for the first ban on an account, it would last for 24 hours, subsequent bans would take exponentially longer to expire.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    MATF Explorer | Level 4
    Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?