cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared link is not updated

Shared link is not updated

NicoleK
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I have a basic dropbox account. My teacher sent a dropbox link to all students. When I open the link it opens my dropbox in Chrome. When I click 'save to dropbox' the folder is added to my dropbox. So far so good. However, when the teacher adds a new file to the folder, I do not see this file in my dropbox. The other students do see the new files. 

The same is true for my iPad where I have the dropbox app installed. If I click the link it opens the dropbox app, and there I chose to add the folder to my dropbox. The folder is there but when the teacher adds a file to the folder, it does not appear in my folder. 

After adding the folder to my dropbox, it shows as a normal folder and only I seem to have access. I also have other dropbox folders which where added through a link, and they have a little smiley face and the screen reads there are multiple members.

Currently missing files from my class all the time so I have to find the original email with the dropbox link from the teacher every time to get the updated folder content. Does anyone have an idea how to get the folder that is updated whenever the owner adds or modifies files?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@NicoleK wrote:

When I click 'save to dropbox' the folder is added to my dropbox. So far so good. However, when the teacher adds a new file to the folder, I do not see this file in my dropbox.

That's correct. When you use the Save to My Dropbox option to save the content of a Shared Link , it's a one-time save as the file or folder exists at that time. It will not update as the original source changes.

The other students do see the new files.

Then they're likely just accessing the link directly, rather than saving it to their Dropbox.

After adding the folder to my dropbox, it shows as a normal folder and only I seem to have access.

Correct. Saving it to your own Dropbox creates your own copy of the original. It is not linked back to the original and no one else has access to it.

I also have other dropbox folders which where added through a link, and they have a little smiley face and the screen reads there are multiple members.

Those will be Shared Folders, which are different from a Shared Link. Shared Folders you're invited to will be added to your Dropbox account, show multiple members, and will sync any changes made by any other member with edit access.

... I have to find the original email with the dropbox link from the teacher every time to get the updated folder content.

That is the proper way to receive any changes made to a file or folder at the other end of a shared link. There is no other way for it to update automatically.

Does anyone have an idea how to get the folder that is updated whenever the owner adds or modifies files?

The owner would need to invite you to join the folder, rather than just sending a shared link. Refer to the links above for the differences.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?