cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared link not working!

Shared link not working!

ValeyBaby
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there,

I am having an issue with a shared file in one of my Dropbox folders.

On my CV I have a link to my Portfolio (which is too big to be sent by email so I have uploaded it on Dropbox).

Initially, the link was working, I just needed to open the CV (which is a pdf file) and click on the link.

Now mysteriously, it's not working anymore! If I go on the file in my Dropbox and I click share-->copy link, the link works.

And it is exactly the same link written on my CV. 

I have tried to copy and paste both links on my notes. The one from my CV looks like text while the one copied directly from Dropbox it's a proper link (yellow, underlined), even though it's the same link!

Does anyone have any idea about how to fix this?

Cheers!

4 Replies 4

Re: Shared link not working!

Walter
Dropboxer
Hello there @ValeyBaby, thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

Just to make sure we're on the same page, could you clarify how exactly are you opening this shared link and what device are you on? If you're getting any errors, I'd appreciate a screenshot too. 

Also, does the shared link work normally if you copy and paste it on a web browser?

Any additional information will be more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ValeyBaby
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Thank you for your support.

I think I have solved the mystery myself.

I am using Google Chrome on my Macbook, however, the link wasn't working either on Chrome and Safari (and from my iPhone, the same issue). To open the link I had simply clicked on it on the pdf but as I said I also tried to copy and paste it.

Here the screenshot.

Screenshot 2021-05-14 at 10.16.25.png

Here what I have done.

In Illustrator, the link was on one section of my CV split into two lines (as space was not enough, the text box had to return, even though copying and pasting it was still one piece).

I had to change the layout to fit the link on one line and now it works.

So I guess every link needs to be in one text line only?

Many thanks.

Valentina

Walter
Dropboxer

There shouldn't be issues with shared links being in two separate text-lines as long as they're hyperlinked correctly. Meaning that there's no copying and pasting manually which could be grabbing an extra space or a trailing character etc. 

In any case, I'm glad to hear that's working properly for you now, Valentina. 

See you around the Community and have a lovely weekend!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ValeyBaby
Explorer | Level 3

Well.. It actually sounds a bit odd that it's not possible to split the link.

I have tried many times before I resigned to change the whole layout of my CV!

Since now it's working that's the only explanation that I could find..

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ValeyBaby Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?