cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared link quit working

Shared link quit working

Question12345678
New member | Level 2

My shared Dropbox-link suddenly stopped working. Is it possible to restore a link without deleting the original link and creating a new one? Or is there any way i could get the original link to work again, what should i do?

I've already tried with this guide: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/shared-link-stopped-working and nothing worked.

2 Replies 2

Re: Shared link quit working

Delta-Mod
Helpful | Level 5

To my knowledge, there is no way to get the same shared link (I assume you got this from right clicking a file within dropbox, and then selecting copy link) once the link ID has changed within dropbox. 

Usually, the link ID stays the same for same-named items, even after you've saved over them several times in the same folder (so, you could replace a file called image.png with a completely different image.png, and the link will simply display the other file instead).

I couldn't tell you what changes the link ID, but once it stops working - the only thing you can do is to re-create it with the same method, and send it out again.

I might be wrong, but since there's no way to choose a custom link ID, I don't see how you'd get the original link to start working. Sorry

Re: Shared link quit working

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Question12345678, thanks for messaging the Community!

If a shared link to a file has been deleted directly, or the file itself was deleted, it wouldn't be possible to get the same shared link again. 

Creating another shared link would make it a new unique shared link.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Delta-Mod Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?