cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared links won't open

Shared links won't open

Explorer | Level 3

A shared link that I emailed to a group cannot be opened.  It opens fine on my own computers, clicking on the link I sent but not on my android phone or tablet and the people I sent the link to cannot open it.  This is the same process I use all of the time but now it is not working.  it's like the link is not providing the needed credential for non owners to open it.

So now I will have to send the actual file out by email.

4 Replies 4

Re: Shared links won't open

Dropboxer

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this @rracoon01, let's see what we can find!

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you let me know exactly what isn't working when you try opening the links?

If you're getting any errors or prompts, please send along a screenshot of this (excluding any personal info), as the visual is always helpful.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I send an email out to a group with two dropbox links.  One is to a folder with images and the other is to a specific PDF file, both in my Dropbox.  I obtain the links either from my Dropbox web page or from the drop down list when I right click on a file in the Windows library view of my dropbox folder.  On the link to the PDF file I change the download flag in the link from 0 to 1 so the receiver will download the file and open in Adobe.  This has always worked perfectly but now I have been getting messages back from only some of the folks that they can't open the PDF file but have no trouble with the link to the image folder.  I tried on my computer and it works fine, but when I try it on my android tablet it can't open the file.  Again, this has worked for me for years of my doing exactly the same thing described here.  Screen shot attached.Screenshot_20201205-111343.jpg

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hm... :thinking face: I have no idea what's going on in your case, but the link is opening just fine:

изображение.png

The above is a view from my phone.

Explorer | Level 3
Why are so many people having this problem on Android devices and no solution is forthcoming? This always used to work and now does not. I am emailing these links to people and to myself and it does not matter whether I use a browser ot the Gmail app. It does not matter whether dl=0 or dl=1.

I have used Dropbox for years doing exactly this and it no longer works. Please help me or I'll have to switch to a different cloud engine that does work. Please.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?