cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing Access database

Sharing Access database

Suzanne W.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I would like to share an Access database with other users. It works on Dropbox in exclusive mode, not in multiuser mode. How else can I do it if Dropbox is not a good platform? I need a low tech solution.

Suzanne

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Argh! No. Dont do it!

It WILL go wrong. It WILL lose you data and it WILL cause you to spend hours fixing it.

As a side note it cannot do 'multiuser mode' because you've forgot the simple fact that every single user of the folder would have there own individualised copy of the database. They'd all be working on each of there own versions - there is NO central place to work on stuff in Dropbox. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Dropbox should not be used as a network transport layer for any database, it simply wouldnt reliably work and will end in tears.

You arent really going to be able to accomplish what you are after with a "low tech solution". You need a proper network aware solution such as swapping out your Access backend for SQL Server - you can keep using Access as the front end, but you cant do what you want with Access as the backend.

M_1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I agree with Richard.  I tested this with another cloud storage platform a few years ago when I needed to share an Access DB with users at other locations.  There is no good way to do this.  It exceeds what MS designed Access for.  Sharepoint can better handle this.

In a Corporate setting, Access db's can reside on a shared drive and mange multiple users editing directly and simultaneously.   If you store Access db on Dropbox, Dropbox will not be able to open it.  It would force you to open it in a locally installed Access client to edit.  This will cause problems or corruptions of links and references in tables. 

If you have each user work off copies stored in their local Dropbox folder, users can unknowingly overwrite others changes during sync.  You end up having to ask "are you working in the db?".

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Argh! No. Dont do it!

It WILL go wrong. It WILL lose you data and it WILL cause you to spend hours fixing it.

As a side note it cannot do 'multiuser mode' because you've forgot the simple fact that every single user of the folder would have there own individualised copy of the database. They'd all be working on each of there own versions - there is NO central place to work on stuff in Dropbox. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ftpftw1981
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Agreed^^.. .  .   .    .     your are better off just rockin it with good communication through dropbox and keeping access for heavy hitting....but if security and reliability aren't an issue 😜 maybe??

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you could post it in the Find Answers section here. ]
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ftpftw1981 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    M_1 New member | Level 2
    Richard P. Super User alumni
What do Dropbox user levels mean?