Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing Files or Folders with another Dropbox user

kwidmayer New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have not used dropbox a lot, and mostly I have used dropbox to transport files between computers using the same account.  I work for a business.  I have a user who one of our customers is trying to send our user a set of files.  The user received an email with a link to the files, but when the user tries to access the files the dropbox web interface requires JAVA.  Now that Oracle is charging $30 a year per workstation our business has chosen to drop using JAVA, so trying to access the files using the dropbox web interface is not going to work.  We downloaded and installed the Windows Dropbox application.  The user logged in using an account that she created, but we could not find any reference to the files the customer is trying to send.  Does the customer need to resend the share link?  How does the customer send the share so that we can access the files from the dropbox application rather than using the JAVA based web interface?  Where would we find any reference to shared folders/files in the Dropbox Windows application?  Would there be a notification in the Dropbox application, or should we see the name of the shared folder somewhere in the dropbox directory structure?

3 Replies 3

Re: Shareing Files or Folders with another dropbox user

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @kwidmayer,

If you initially shared the content via a shared link, the recipient can open the shared link while they're signed into their Dropbox account. They can then click the "Download" button in the top right corner of the web page and choose to "Save to my Dropbox". Once the content is saved to their account, it will sync to the desktop into the Dropbox folder.

Otherwise you can share the folder/file via their email address instead. With this method, any changes made to the content will be reflected for them too. You can also grant them edit or view access depending on your needs. Once the shared content is accepted by the recipient, it will again be synced to their desktop Dropbox folder.

I hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kwidmayer New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Anytime we try to access the shared link in a browser the dropbox system wants JAVA, so that is broken.

We can not see the shared link in the dropbox application.  However I think that is a timing issue.  We are trying a resend as you directed so hopefully it will show up in the Dropbox application.  I'm thinking that since the shared link was sent before we setup the dropbox application, the link back to the customer docs did not get established.  Hopefully resharing will fix the issue.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @kwidmayer,

Thanks for clarifying that for me, I thought at first you were just not able to access the files, not the shared link altogether! Whether or not you have the desktop app installed shouldn't have affected the shared link, as you would only be able to open and view the contents of the link via a web browser.

Let me know how it goes - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?