cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a Dropbox file without access to all of my Dropbox files

Sharing a Dropbox file without access to all of my Dropbox files

Oleo2320
Explorer | Level 4

How to share a link to a document without giving access to all other dropbox folders & files? I saw that this was considered "solved" but...I set up a test folder and two documents with links to each doc posted to my social page. I then used another computer and without signing into dropbox from there or my social page (supposedly view only) I clicked on each link and was able to access all other folders and files... so what am I missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sharing a Dropbox file without access to all of my Dropbox files

Mark
Super User II
You can unlink computers via the software itself on the computer or you can revoke web and app access etc. at www.dropbox.com/account#security

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Somebody had signed you in on that machine.

Put the link in to an Incognito Window and you'll only see the files/folders you've actually shared.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Oleo2320
Explorer | Level 4
so quick update, I am using another computer in my home so its using the same access point i guess and when I went to look at devices under DBox security, it would seem that it does not differentiate the two computers ?? Is there a way to remove a link to a particular computer and its access to my Dropbox??

Mark
Super User II
You can unlink computers via the software itself on the computer or you can revoke web and app access etc. at www.dropbox.com/account#security

View solution in original post

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @Oleo2320

Thanks for getting in touch on the Dropbox Community! 

Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

[This thread is now closed. If you experience further issues, feel free to open a new one. ]

Warm regards,
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Oleo2320
Explorer | Level 4

still not resolved - my concern is - as I am still unable to "unauthorize" my wife's computer with the given instructions  - if i use another computer to access dropbox it is unclear I will be able to "unautorize" that particular computer from dropbox.  Hmmmm

Judi Moore
New member | Level 2

One really has to do this every time one needs to share a file? Really quite difficult, unless one is a tech maven (as you obviously are). Not mention time-consuming.

I find that anything I put on dropbox is accessible by anyone I have any connection with on dropbox (which can be several different cohorts of people). Dropbox assumes that one is happy to share everything with everyone to whom one is linked. That is far from being the case.

I can see that is a slightly different problem from the original poster, who is sharing dropbox files outside dropbox itself (which I do not). But the lack of security on dropbox is still a major issue, wherever one is encountering it in relation to the program.

Rich
Super User II

@Judi Moore wrote:

One really has to do this every time one needs to share a file?

No.

I find that anything I put on dropbox is accessible by anyone I have any connection with on dropbox

That's simply not how Dropbox works. People you share with can only access the specific file or folder that you've shared with them. They cannot access anything else in your account.

I can see that is a slightly different problem from the original poster, who is sharing dropbox files outside dropbox itself (which I do not). But the lack of security on dropbox is still a major issue, wherever one is encountering it in relation to the program.

What lack of security are you referring to? This entire thread is a misunderstanding of how Dropbox works, and if your issue is different from what was discussed above, you'll need to explain it so we can help.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Judi Moore New member | Level 2
    Oleo2320 Explorer | Level 4
    Jane Dropboxer
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?