cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a file on another website doesn't work

Sharing a file on another website doesn't work

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,  When I try to share a file I get the option to copy a link.  The link I get when I try to embed that into a community forum it doesn't like that URL.  From what I can see the URL should end with my file name but it is adding to the end of it.

https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/s/kcn9mls0m5y1ul0/haircut.jpg?dl=0

That is the URL I get and the forum won't accept that.   If I use another site to host it will end with .jpg and then it works.  Is there a reason that the DropBox URL won't work or is there a different URL I can use?

Thanks

GMD5141

4 Replies 4

Re: Sharing a file on another website doesn't work

Dropboxer

Hi @GMD5141, thanks for posting your question here. 

When you create a shared link, it will add a dl=0 at the end by default, which allows users to preview the file directly on the Dropbox website. 

There are options to change it, to either bypass the preview page (raw=1) or force a browser to download the contents (dl=1). 

Could you let me know the exact error that comes up when you paste it on another website? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your reply,

The forum I'm posting on is a Powered by Invision Community forum.  I can reply to a poster or start my own topic and in the area you type to post there is a button to "insert image from URL".  When I have a picture hosted at imgur.com or some other site all I have to do is hit that button and paste in the link and the picture shows up embedded in my post.  When I do that with the dropbox URL it turns the url dialog box background red and nothing happens.  If I just paste the URL in my message then it is an active link that they can click on and it will view.  I just can't have the picture actually be seen in my post like most other posters or like it does using other hosting sites.

Again thanks for your help.

Dropboxer

Hi @GMD5141, this sounds like an issue with the forum itself, and isn't Dropbox related, since the forum can't parse the URL to extract the image from it directly.

You'll need to get in contact with their team for further support on this matter to see how to embed images stored on Dropbox.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Jay,  I have done that.  They say it is a problem with Dropbox as all other sites work as intended.  They recommend I switch to Imgur.com as my "free" hosting site.  I don't know what else to say.  I know that this forum is pretty well run and if there is a work around they will try to figure it out. So far no luck.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?