cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a file with links in separate folder

Sharing a file with links in separate folder

D_ehl
Explorer | Level 3

I am a newbie and trying to navigate how to approach sharing an uploaded file containing  a lot of hyperlinks which will be stored in a separate uploaded folder.  I've attached a pdf showing what I am trying to accomplish.  Hopefully this is possible.

Dropbox  question.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sharing a file with links in separate folder

Jay
Dropboxer
In theory, it could be possible, but time consuming on your end. The main file could be shared directly to their Dropbox account, where it would only be visible on this page.

Inside that file, you could have shared links to all the files you mentioned. The time aspect is that you'll need to create shared links to each of the files you want.

You could technically put them into different folders, share a link to one folder, and then extrapolate the shared link for that file from there. However, again, this would take time for every file.

There is also a daily bandwidth limit, which while I doubt it could be breached with documents, it's worth bearing in mind.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @D_ehl, thanks for your message!

The only clarifications I'd like really are does the associate have a Dropbox account of their own, or will they be accessing it without an account via the browser only?

Secondly, how many files approximately are in the folder where all the files are stored?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

D_ehl
Explorer | Level 3

Regarding if the associate has a dropbox account

I would assume the answer is yes at least the free basic plan of 2GB of storage plus basic file-sharing features.  My computer would have a Dropbox account which would allow for 2 TB or more of storage capacity and related features offered in that package. 

Regarding how many files are in the folder where all the files are store

At the beginning maybe two hundred or so documents will be stored (all sizes), over several years maybe a thousand, maybe more. It may be eventually more practical to divide the files in different related folders.  If possible they would be stored in My Dropbox account on my desktop (a copy additionally stored in the Dropbox Cloud) and shared from there.  Does this make sense? 

Jay
Dropboxer
In theory, it could be possible, but time consuming on your end. The main file could be shared directly to their Dropbox account, where it would only be visible on this page.

Inside that file, you could have shared links to all the files you mentioned. The time aspect is that you'll need to create shared links to each of the files you want.

You could technically put them into different folders, share a link to one folder, and then extrapolate the shared link for that file from there. However, again, this would take time for every file.

There is also a daily bandwidth limit, which while I doubt it could be breached with documents, it's worth bearing in mind.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?