cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a folder but not viewing

Sharing a folder but not viewing

192Pic
Explorer | Level 3

Can folders be shared but contents not viewable to sharer, except files sent by the sharer?
I am creating a photo slideshow for a reunion. I would like to set up a Dropbox folder and share a link on our reunion Facebook page for people to add their photos to the folder. I do NOT want people to be able to view the photos in the folder other than their own. Is this possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sharing a folder but not viewing

Rich
Super User II

@192Pic wrote:

Where do I get to see who sent the files and what their email address is?

It will look exactly as it did in your test. Their name will be appended to the file name. You don't receive their email address. All you have access to is their name as part of the file name.

... my name showed up as part of the filenames, but I think that was because I sent the files when I was logged into Dropbox. Other people will not have Dropbox.

When they're not logged in they'll be prompted for their name and email, as shown in the screenshot I posted above. You will only receive their name.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II

@192Pic wrote:

Can folders be shared but contents not viewable to sharer, except files sent by the sharer?

You're looking for the File Request feature.

192Pic
Explorer | Level 3

The 'File Requests' looks like it might work! I just tested by creating a link to the folder, then placing the link in an email and sent to myself. When I click on the link, it has a place to upload individual files or folders. Then Dropbox notified me by email that files had been added to my Dropbox folder. The file names are listed, along with my first and last name as part of the file name. Can you tell me where my first and last name are obtained for the filename of each photo? This will be a useful component to my process. But I need an additional identifier of photo subject content. Is it best to ask each contributor to create and upload an additional document which identifies people & places of the photo next to each filename?

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @192Pic, how are you today? 

You should be able to find your first and last name in your Dropbox settings, right here. 

You can also have a look into our naming conventions in case this helps. 

I hope this clarifies! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

192Pic
Explorer | Level 3

OK - I see that my test files had my name added to the filename because I sent them as a Dropbox user. But my classmates who send files to the Dropbox folder might not have a Dropbox account. They will get my link, click 'Add file from computer' and the file will go to the folder. It will not indicate who sent it, right? And is there any way to indicate what the photo contents are, other than to ask classmates to create a document that lists their photos by filename and give a short description - and add that file from their computer to the Dropbox folder?

Rich
Super User II

@192Pic wrote:

They will get my link, click 'Add file from computer' and the file will go to the folder. It will not indicate who sent it, right? And is there any way to indicate what the photo contents are ...

They'll be prompted for their name and email but you'll only receive their name. There are no other prompts available.

a95efe322ebe0977f37b7953cdfdfedd.png

192Pic
Explorer | Level 3

Where do I get to see who sent the files and what their email address is? The files that show up in my Dropbox folder do not show the email address of sender. I'm not sure about their name - my name showed up as part of the filenames, but I think that was because I sent the files when I was logged into Dropbox. Other people will not have Dropbox. So where do I look for their names and email addresses?

Rich
Super User II

@192Pic wrote:

Where do I get to see who sent the files and what their email address is?

It will look exactly as it did in your test. Their name will be appended to the file name. You don't receive their email address. All you have access to is their name as part of the file name.

... my name showed up as part of the filenames, but I think that was because I sent the files when I was logged into Dropbox. Other people will not have Dropbox.

When they're not logged in they'll be prompted for their name and email, as shown in the screenshot I posted above. You will only receive their name.

192Pic
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your help!

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

192Pic Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?