cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a folder witn a non dropbox account holder

Highlighted

Sharing a folder witn a non dropbox account holder

New member | Level 2

Hello Dropbox Community,

I thought I understood that a file or folder could be shared with someone that does not have a dropbox account.  I entered that person's email to share a folder and an email was sent to that person.   When they opened their email and clicked on the blue "Go To Folder" button, the person was asked to enter their email address and password.  The email address was entered and not knowing what password was being referred to, a made up passord was entered and an error message said that one or both of the inforamation entered was not correct.  It should be noted that the recipient of the shared folder has a Hotmail email account while mine is Gmai.

Whar an I not understanding?   I could not find any answers from FAQ or any online forims.  Will someone please help?

Cordially,

Mlucienq

[personal information removed as per the Community's Guidelines]

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Sharing a folder witn a non dropbox account holder

Super User II

@Mlucienq wrote:

I thought I understood that a file or folder could be shared with someone that does not have a dropbox account.

If you're inviting someone to a shared folder, a Dropbox account is needed by the recipient. A shared folder allows someone to fully collaborate within the folder, by adding, modifying and deleting files.

If the recipient only needs to view or download the files in the folder, send them a shared link instead. A Dropbox account is not needed for a shared link. While they may still be prompted to create one, it's an optional step for shared links.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?