cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing files

Sharing files

CallieEleven
New member | Level 2

I have a large number of video files that I share with a large number of non computer savvy people.  Some have DropBox accounts and some do not.  The need to be able to both download files and view the videos without downloading them.  Most have no problems, but those with a DropBox account get messages requiring them to sign in and then messages asking them to pay for more storage.  Many say that they cannot click through those messages.  I can send them the link to the folder and it almost always works, but then it makes it easy for them to forward the link to folks that do not have permission to access the files.  How do I share these files without running into the problems those people have and still maintain some security over who can access the files?    Honestly, I'm ready to give up on DropBox it is such a headache . . . 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sharing files

Mark
Super User II

If I'm being honest here... you really cant - but this is the same with any service. There is no way to stop people forwarding and sharing links. Its important to remember here that Dropbox is not a content delivery network - its a file sharing tool and for business (especially paid/professional ones) that can be a huge difference. 

So, few things... if they are getting an error saying they need space they are trying to save the files to their Dropbox OR you are sharing them as a shared folder - and that needs them to have enough quota to add them.

If you want them to just watch and view them via a link use https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/view-only-access to do that. You can then set permissions via https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/set-link-permissions

What I would say though is that they may get a popup asking them to join Dropbox - tell them to tap the X in top right or ESC on keyboard. The other thing is that if they are logged in at the time of clicking on a link from above and they tap the add to Dropbox option it WILL give an error if they'd be out of space. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Sharing files

Mark
Super User II

If I'm being honest here... you really cant - but this is the same with any service. There is no way to stop people forwarding and sharing links. Its important to remember here that Dropbox is not a content delivery network - its a file sharing tool and for business (especially paid/professional ones) that can be a huge difference. 

So, few things... if they are getting an error saying they need space they are trying to save the files to their Dropbox OR you are sharing them as a shared folder - and that needs them to have enough quota to add them.

If you want them to just watch and view them via a link use https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/view-only-access to do that. You can then set permissions via https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/set-link-permissions

What I would say though is that they may get a popup asking them to join Dropbox - tell them to tap the X in top right or ESC on keyboard. The other thing is that if they are logged in at the time of clicking on a link from above and they tap the add to Dropbox option it WILL give an error if they'd be out of space. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?