cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing folders to myself-other dropbox account. Questions!!!

Sharing folders to myself-other dropbox account. Questions!!!

shelliv
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I am transferring quite a few large files over to my business Dropbox account in hopes of deleting my personal one. I know I can save everything to my computer and then re-upload to the business Dropbox, but with limited space and such it just isn't efficient for me.

I've also seen that there are possibly some options to transfer over the files, so I thought why not do it that way. I tried the "transfer" feature and it was taking hours, and then just stopped and gave me an error all together, I'm not quite sure how that works or why that happened. I tried it in increments too. 

So, my main question is, if I "share folder" to myself instead, (from personal Dropbox,) then open the files and "add" them to my business Dropbox, are they uploaded there in the business Dropbox now? In other words, can I now safely delete the files from my original personal Dropbox? Or are they really just mirrored?

(If I delete the original files and close the original Dropbox account, will they be gone from the new business one? Or are they now uploaded and safe in the new one just from sharing?)

Thanks for any help or advice!

1 Reply 1

Re: Sharing folders to myself-other dropbox account. Questions!!!

Rich
Super User II

@shelliv wrote
... if I "share folder" to myself instead, (from personal Dropbox,) then open the files and "add" them to my business Dropbox, are they uploaded there in the business Dropbox now? In other words, can I now safely delete the files from my original personal Dropbox? Or are they really just mirrored?

Create the shared folder and invite your business account to it. Upload all the files to it from the personal account. Once uploaded, make your business account the owner of the folder. You can then leave the share with your personal account, making the business account the only member of the folder. Once you've left the folder, you can delete your copy of the shared folder and delete your account without affecting the files in the business account.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?