cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Sharing subfolder inside of shared folder

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

We have a shared folder with 5 users.  I need to create a subfolder and give access control to it to people who are not currently members?  How I do that and what are the limitations?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Sharing subfolder inside of shared folder

Super User II
Super User II

A shared folder cannot have other shared folders within it. Sharing a folder within an already shared folder will only provide you with the option to use a share link, which provides view-only access through the Dropbox website. You cannot nest shared folders.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

A shared folder cannot have other shared folders within it. Sharing a folder within an already shared folder will only provide you with the option to use a share link, which provides view-only access through the Dropbox website. You cannot nest shared folders.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

This is crazy. I pay for an account on Dropbox and I can't put a folder inside another folder and have it be shared with same people I shared the original folder? Google Drive does this no problem. Seems like pretty basic functionality that should come with all subscriptions. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @mossak,

If you share a folder then all content within it (including its subfolders) is accessible to the recipients that you shared with. What Rich mentioned there is that you wouldn't be able to share a subfolder with different/additional users, to do this you would need to share the subfolder with a shared link instead.

I hope this helps - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm glad I could help @mossak

If you have any other questions then please feel free to reach out to us here on the Community. 

Have a great day - Thanks!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have shared a folder with one person and would like them to see all the sub folders. The sub folders say can only be shared by a link?? I want them to have accerss like my other folders

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @EstherHath, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

If you share a folder with another user, they will inherit access to everything within that folder. This includes all the sub-folders and files within, so you don't need to go through each sub-level of the folder to share it. 

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions about this!

Daphne

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?