cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing video so it can be previewed but not downloaded?

Sharing video so it can be previewed but not downloaded?

Jasmine D.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I was trying to work out if I can share videos through Dropbox so people can preview but not download? Does anyone know if this is possible?

I have over 100GB of video uploaded and want to share it with someone so they can see it but only be able to download it until I change their shared abilities.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Has anyone found a way around this yet so we can share a video - view only - but not download 

You can't. That's not how the Internet works. If I can view it, it's already on my computer.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Thats impossible I'm afraid.

The internet simply doesnt work like that,

ANY link from ANY provider will make it downloadable - thats how the web works.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Sandy A.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Has anyone found a way around this yet so we can share a video - view only - but not download 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You can't. That's not how the Internet works. If I can view it, it's already on my computer.

scott2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Short answer is yes you can - sign up for a free Wistia account at wistia.com.

You can then allow them to play only, or change the settings so they can download it.

...and no I am not connected with Wistia, but dropbox could also learn from their customer service.

Simon K.15
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Short answer is yes you can - sign up for a free Wistia account at wistia.com.

Streaming = Downloading.

So any video that is viewed is at the same time downloaded. You can't prevent users from downloading videos, but Dropbox could make it harder to download at least.

mgasperl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You can share video securily and free (1 hour/month and 5$ per every additional hour) via api.video. The video is streamed and can't be downloaded via any usual method an a PC. The only way would be a hdmi grabber. I described how it works in my blog: https://www.gasperl.at/videos-sicher-einbinden-mit-api-video/

Another (easier) method is using servces liek vdocipher (currently 99$ per year). It will do all the work for you and protect your videos from being downloaded.

However, there is no 100% secure method. But you also won't find a way to 100% secure your bicycle. It's just about the effort you do to a potential thief.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mgasperl New member | Level 2
    Simon K.15 New member | Level 1
    scott2 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Sandy A.3 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?