cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing without the risk of deleting files

Highlighted

Sharing without the risk of deleting files

Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox seems to have changed since last I looked.  Syncing seems to have taken hold

This is for my OH, not a super duper computerist.  All of a sudden she is having to teach remotely, so rather than handing out papers she needs to share documents, videos etc.  The college says it has to be via dropbox.  She has the app

So she uploaded some files to practice, but when removing them dropbox now says it's going to delete them from her PC.  Thats not the idea at all!  

What's the practical way to do this?  I'm thinking to create a new folder called "DropboxShares" for example and then copying her selected precious files there to be uploaded.  Is there a better way? 

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Sharing without the risk of deleting files

Dropboxer

Hey there @shimself; welcome aboard and happy November!

The warning message you get when you move files out of the Dropbox folder on a computer running the desktop app, refers to removing files from the Dropbox account and any synced devices; not the computer's hard drive. 

If they'd like to make up some hard disk space after they've uploaded the files they need to to the shared folder in question, they can use selective sync to un-sync this folder to prevent it from taking up space locally. 

If they move or delete the files after they've been synced though, those changes will also be synced across any connected devices and the website and to the other members of the share. 

Let me know if any of these doesn't make sense and I'll try to explain further! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?